Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solvent references?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-6-2013 at 23:01
Solvent references?

I've had copies of the CRC handbook around for a few years now and they are pretty handy more often than not. But for things like solubility curves or how much a given compound will dissolve into a given solvent,I don't see much. I've also noticed that for a (growing) number of the compounds they leave out other solvents that can dissolve the substance listed( Example: toluene will dissolve sulfur a bit and more so at higher temperatures). Granted this may be a no go but are there any well known or dedicated references for the above data? Or is it a case by case basis? I thank you and all comments are appreciated!

[Edited on 25-6-2013 by Funkerman23]

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 11:04

I got plenty books, actually most sorted as different volumes and/or editions of the same publication.
They were download right down from SS's forums and I can share with you if it someway happens to fail referring to the original thread,
What solubilities precisely you having trouble with?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2013 at 22:55

First I apologize for the late reply, that aside I can't give a single sentence answer. It started when I was trying to separate a mixture of potassium chloride and sodium chloride and had trouble but there taking advantage of the temperature dependent solubility of potassium chloride was the solution and that was with help here on Scimad . Recently I had found a small bit of rose dusting sulfur and I wanted to try to purify it with solvent extraction( I hope I used that correctly). I check my CRC ( 2008) handbook and while it listed ethanol, ether and benzene as slightly soluble it does not specify how much sulfur they would dissolve. It did not mention that hot toluene would work. The CRC books have been great starting point but they have fallen short. With those two cases in mind I was hoping to find a text or source that would have more of that information. I move from project to project so while a narrow list of compounds would be simple, my needs are broader.If this helps right now a lot of it is preparation and isolation of reagents from otc sources. Pardon my asking But what forum do you mean when you say SS?

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 06:11

TFSE can be of some help, when you are willing to use it:

solubility data

Finding solubilities of a compound in different solvents

How to determine the solubility of compounds in H2SO4.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 08:26

I should have known better..my stupidity but thank you.

Go To Top