Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AN extraction.
golfpro
Banned

Mood: Cap Sensitive

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 12:09
AN extraction.

Youtube removed a video of a process of extracting AN from fertilizer. I have AN which I know contain pure enough NH4NO3 to use in AN based explosives, but that's not what I wanted to do. It isn't 100% maybe 90% and some waxy binder and whatnot.

The vid was something like dissolving around 75 grams AN into water, filtering this, and the liquid is then boiled in a frying pan, and then poured onto a cookie sheet, but I remember liquid being poured into the cookie sheet, and then this is set for a few hours at 60* C to completely dry, if you think this sounds right. I know I could just go and experiment around with it, but don't really have the time, So if anyone has done this process...

It is weird what youtube leaves up and what they take down, it almost seems like they leave the videos that don't quite work in some way, or you have to do the next step not shown and then they take down the ones that are half decent and thorough.

Thanks
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 12:19

That's why books are better resources than boobtube, IMHO.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 14:37

i think i've seen that video but nurd rage has one similar except he has his liquid going into sodium hydroxide and another into sodium bicarbonate.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 02:43

this is decently simple chemistry TBH (:
theres a few things you might wanna know about before you do this..
you wanna check if the other stuff is insoluble, if it all is except for the AN then youre in luck
otherwise it might be more hard or costly to do

take some boiling water
crush up the AN fertilizer and dissolve as much as possible
then pour it through a cloth filter or 2
pour the liquid into a glass dish (not sure if this has a specific name)
preferably heat resistant, so designed to withstand oven temperatures
you can just put this on a stove, as in electrical stove on low heat as start
the sludge will thicken and suddenly start to look very very weird, dont think im capable of describing it.. looks like its alive
when it starts to thicken you might wanna stir it around and crush it up abit
it will become harder and at this point you can take some of the molten AN and put on a cold surface
it will immediately harden up
when it does this you can let it cool down, a knife can loosen it from the glass, whereafter you can crush it up with a hammer and finally powder it in a coffee grinder
you can then heat it at low heat in oven or on the stove again to remove the last water and store it in a container with a dessicant

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
golfpro
Banned

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 07:39

Do you think my AN which is right now just in a tuperware container is ruined because of moisture?

I asked because the guys channel called BobBlitzkrieg has very good chemistry videos, I saw the vid of how to do this like 2 months ago and figured I would come back to it. Aubviously if youtube deleted it it is valueable information.

I know it's very simple, but I want to have nice pure AN for something else, I have a feeling the cold pack AN isn't 100%, it's white which is good, although it is higher purity than OTC fertilizer

Somewhat weird to think that disolving this stuff gets very cold, and then is heated back up to evaporate/boil all of the water off (after the waxy crap and stuff you don't want is filtered,) and you get back exactly what you started with, only more pure
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 16:18

Quote: Originally posted by cyanureeves  
i think i've seen that video but nurd rage has one similar except he has his liquid going into sodium hydroxide and another into sodium bicarbonate.

That doesn't sound right. I think he has NH4NO3 with some sulfate (maybe Na2SO4).
I think he uses methanol as the solvent for your NH4NO3.
golfpro
Banned

[*] posted on 13-6-2013 at 12:51

I boiled off an AN solution to minimize the amount of water, then had this in the oven to dry out at 175* F on a cookie sheet, the AN looked very dry when I took it out, then weighed exactly 40grams into tupperware sealed, if I use this within a week, will it still be OK and not have absorbed moisture?
golfpro
Banned

[*] posted on 13-6-2013 at 20:01

So now it has clumped a bit and it's not a nice fine powder in the tupperware, is this stuff really that difficult and it has absorbed too much moisture from the relatively dry air for use now??
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 14-6-2013 at 05:21

powder it and put a dessicant in the container

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html

Go To Top