Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitrite rout with Pb and KNO3
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 17:50
Nitrite rout with Pb and KNO3

Alright guys so I was searching around a method for preparing nitrites without difficulty and found some recipes for preparing it through the following approximate reaction:
Pb + KNO3 --> KNO2 + PbO

So would lead powder definitely work for this or is it overused already?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 18:16

Quote: Originally posted by Poppy  

So would lead powder definitely work for this or is it overused already?

I don't know what you mean by "overused" but take a look at this thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=52&...

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 19:56

Isn't that slow and stirring intensive?
oh yeah the thread is pretty intensive too

I'm better stick a link to this thread in the main one sorry, or help me deleting it perhaps?
I just loaded a couple webpages on this subject here at the forums, didn't took the time to read all the ideas sorry.
You really had success. but wasn't that just a small ammount?
I'm pretty sure quantities larger than 500g wouldn't even properly fry unless you make it very fire intensive lol
And 65% yield is good but out of 12g?
I've posted somewhere how to get lead powder as scrap from producing ionic lead. Now it would be easier to set up a lab for reusing left over products of lead powder production. It has an 11% yield, so out of 500g dissolved lead you can pick 50g lead powder.
Get 5 kilos of that and you grab 500g lead powder. Now the fun part is you don't have to watch out this part.
Mix lead powder and NaNO3 or even better KNO3, ball mill it and go for maybe a 100% yield. When heated, the leady caustic nitrate won't give separate layers and will probably react ridiculous fast.
Now take the remaining lead acetate from lead powder production, precipitate with lime, use the lime for producing acetone and grab on the lead oxides and throw in charcoal to get back elemental lead.
:P

[Edited on 4-6-2013 by Poppy]

Go To Top