Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Azeotropic Ethanol Acetone
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 21:40
Azeotropic Ethanol Acetone

Hello all,
I was looking at Wikipedia and found this

"Several entrainers can be used for this specific process: benzene, pentane, cyclohexane, hexane, heptane, isooctane, acetone, and diethyl ether are all options as the mixture."

Does this mean that Ethanol can be distilled to a higher concentration than ~95%(the azeotrope with water) by addition of acetone? Is this a similar process to that of the addition of benzene?

(Oh, my first post so if I am doing something wrong eddiqutte wise, alert me please).

[Edited on 2-4-2013 by Finnnicus]

Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
2-4-2013 at 07:52
DutchChemistryBox
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 07:33

Theoretically, I would say yes.

I guess the aceton wil stick to the water and evaporate together before the alcohol does.

But I do not have any experience with it.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 09:25

Quote: Originally posted by Finnnicus  
(Oh, my first post so if I am doing something wrong eddiqutte wise, alert me please).

You are doing nothing wrong, but I can say you are doing something weird, because you are asking about a claim from Wikipedia, that is actually equipped with a reference: DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2010.03.015
It is like asking strangers for directions while staring at the signpost directing you to the desired location. Not wrong, but weird. If you feel illiterate in regard to the reference system, you can read the forum guidelines on the basics about doing the literature work.

Welcome.

ethanol.jpg - 22kB

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 02:13

Thank you both, I thought bring moved to the second page was like a death sentence for an unanswered thread. Obviously not :). I shall read the referencing guide, I omitted it the first time.

The reference given by Wikipedia requires the purchase of a PDF to read the section of text concerning the 'entrainers' which confuses the referencing even more!

Nicodem, any help relating to the science part?

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 08:34

Articles are generally not acquired, but accessed via IP recognition. I don't have the access to that journal, but you could always ask in the References section. Surely someone can access it. Since you don't have the access to that forum section, I will put the request myself.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 09:42

Reference Information

Anhydrous ethanol: A renewable source of energy
Santosh Kumar, Neetu Singh, Ram Prasad
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14
(2010) 1830–1844
DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2010.03.015

Attachment: Anhydrous ethanol-A renewable source of energy.pdf (304kB)
This file has been downloaded 4028 times

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 13:25

A better solution is to use a drying compound. For alcohols, CaO is recommended. CuSO4 and K2CO3 will also do the job.
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 18:41

Yes I do understand that drying agents are the most viable route (hmm, maybe molecular sieves?), but I wanted to know if available acetone is as usable as carcinogenic benzene for azeotropic distillation.

Oh, and thanks solo.

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 16:18

This is a good example of science literature, and how (not) to use it.

The wiki says something as fact. It happens to give a reference, which gives the statement as fact with reference. The reference gives the statement as fact without a reference, and it's not mentioned otherwise.

One could look in a better wiki instead.

The obvious way to answer this in a minute or so, without posting to a forum, is to look in azeotrope books. And one in pdf, by Horsley (Advances in Chemistry series #116) says there is no azeotrope.

The obvious way to find real ternary azeotropes known to work is with a standard reference such as Lange's.

BTW Industrial Chemical Process is not the friend of (or in general relevant to) people who aren't doing industrial chemistry.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top