Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting Started
singulare
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-3-2013 at 06:04
Getting Started

Hello,

I want to get started in chemistry, i have no background in chemistry. i want a good basic knowledge, which books are a must read for a novice. my interest lies in energetic materials mainly.

The Library on the main page doesn't work for me.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2013 at 13:54

Hi,

That's a very broad question you're asking and it would be better placed in the 'beginners section'. Library books in SM's library are for the most part quite advanced and not much use to the novice.

What do you understand by 'get(ting) started in chemistry'? What are your immediate goals?

singulare
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2013 at 00:43

My goal is a good knowlegde of energetic chemistry. By getting started i mean which books i need to read. Books in energetic chemistry particularly, but also books how to work safe.

[Edited on 22-3-2013 by singulare]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-3-2013 at 01:42

Especially if you are into energetic materials, it is really important that you understand basic chemistry. Try to find a basic chemistry book for Havo or VWO schools at "De Slegte". Concepts like what is an element, what are atoms, the periodic table of elements and basic properties of acids/bases, oxidizers/reductors are covered by those books. You also learn how to balance equations and the concept of molecular weight and the mole is introduced.

If you have such basic understanding, then you might want to specialize into organics or inorganics. Energetic materials can be organic compounds and understanding these compounds may require specific knowledge about organic reactions (e.g. nitrations, formation of peroxides, more general esterification reactions).

Buf first try to get some basic understanding and in order to make things somewhat easier and more entertaining it may be very interesting to buy some chemicals as well and do some funny reactions yourself. And here I do not mean energetics, but general chemistry, which demonstrates some basic concepts (e.g. making precipitates of metal salts, some nice colorful redox reactions, production of certain gases and doing experiments with these gases, etc.).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
singulare
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2013 at 02:11

Thanks woelen, thats what i meant with basic knowledge. Should i read books on energetic materials also, after the havo/vwo chemistey book?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-3-2013 at 03:35

Reading books, specialized in energetics always is useful, but once you have basic understanding of chemistry, I'm quite sure that the sciencemadness library has enough interesting reads for you which you'll understand by then.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top