Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suggestion: Auto Logout After [] Time?
m1tanker78
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 17:32
Suggestion: Auto Logout After [] Time?

I often forget to logout from SM. I'm not a web page designer but is there any way to create an option to have the system automatically log a user off after a specified time? It would be nice if the user could select how many hours if it's at all possible. It's not that big of a deal, just something to consider if the site gets a revamp. ;)

Tank

Chemical CURIOSITY KILLED THE CATalyst.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 18:43

Sorry to butt in, but on a related subject:

It's been this way for a very long time, the "unread messages" data in the cookie times out *way* too soon. I can spend 20 minutes typing a reply, only to come back to an apparently empty forum because all the unread messages timed out. Could we get that extended to, like, 24 hours? I'm guessing it's essentially clientside, so it wouldn't be any load on the forum to do so.

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 16:06

Quote: Originally posted by 12AX7  
Sorry to butt in, but on a related subject:

It's been this way for a very long time, the "unread messages" data in the cookie times out *way* too soon. I can spend 20 minutes typing a reply, only to come back to an apparently empty forum because all the unread messages timed out. Could we get that extended to, like, 24 hours? I'm guessing it's essentially clientside, so it wouldn't be any load on the forum to do so.

I think this is controlled by the 'oldtopics' cookie. It was set to expire after 10 minutes before, and I've now set it to an hour. Let's see if that makes a difference.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 21-1-2013 at 03:30

Polverone, I notice there is no sticky for an important topic. A 'suggestion' thread. Since this thread has it in the title and others are using it for one I will also. On a post you are limited to 8 mb in files total but only 2 mb per each one. About a zillion times since 2005 I have not posted a file because it was slightly over 2 mb. Today I want to upload a PDF for a robot which is about 2.5 mb. Very commonly the files I would like to post average in the 2 to 4 mb range. Just about any decent read on a subject is 8 to 12 pages in a PDF meaning 2.5 to 4 mb in size. Since you have an 8 mb limit anyway why cannot you up the single file size to at least 6 or 7 mb. Over the years I have followed hundreds of threads where links were posted for this very reason. Typically most are no longer working resulting in valuable information lost forever, which takes so much away from the knowledge that could have been conveyed. I know I have mentioned this to you before years ago and server space was your response. However since you allow up to 8 mb anyway wouldn't it be reasonable to allow single files at least approaching this limit?

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman

Go To Top