Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suo’s hydrogel
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 07:34
Suo’s hydrogel

Super-stretchy jelly can take a hit
http://www.nature.com/news/super-stretchy-jelly-can-take-a-h...
Any thoughts/clues on how this material is made? A person that makes large bubbles for a living told me together, (alginate and polyacrylamide), are sometimes used as denture adhesives and that both are in bubble related patents.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 02:00

thank you for sharing , i found the information interesting and will try to make some of this interesting material.....it sounds like there may be quite a few practical applications for this material...and so is my interest on the gel....solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 12:21

Very interesting. This material may have many applications. I'm wondering, how thick was the sheet of hydrogel? I'm not subscribed to nature so I can't read the journal article.

I have polyacrylamide gel and it's wonderful stuff really. I've been able to make some lenses for optical experiments that performed surprisingly well.

My guess:
Are these polymers soluble in acetone? Because if this is the case, I'd imagine that you could dissolve both of them simultaneously and then let the solvent evaporate. Acetone is my best guess as to the solvent that may have been used, but there are many other solvents that could fit the bill.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi

Go To Top