Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ammonium citrate
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 10:56
Ammonium citrate

Hello SM,

Few weeks ago I made some ammonium citrate, just because I was curious.
When I tried to crystallize it, it started to behave like a sugar in solution - instead of crystals, a syrupy solution was observed. The remaining water refuses to go away.

I would like to try ammonium citrate as an experimental rocket fuel, but with so much water this is impossible.

Why did this happen? Any thoughts how to dry it? I have no vacuum pump.

Rest In Pieces!
barley81
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 11:06

You may try putting it in a sealed ziplock bag next to a dish of dessicant ala Nurdrage. If it still cannot be crystallized, you might get a dry mass that still can be powdered and mixed with oxidizer. Try it and tell us!
Adas
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 11:20

I thought about this, but I have no desiccant at hand at the moment. Maybe ammonium nitrate but I don't want to waste it. I'd rather try heating it at 100°C.

I will probably try that tomorrow. But I don't think it will be very succesfull.

Rest In Pieces!
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 12:29

How would the ammonium nitrate be wasted? Just dry it to reuse it. If you have lye in hand it works great. Also cheap kitty litter works if you bake it at low temps first.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Adas
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 12:49

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
How would the ammonium nitrate be wasted? Just dry it to reuse it. If you have lye in hand it works great. Also cheap kitty litter works if you bake it at low temps first.

Maybe you are right, but I am still not sure if this method can remove enough water.

Rest In Pieces!
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 15:42

Supposedly ammonium citrate loses ammonia when heated much above room temperature. Heating to 100C would likely yield an acid ammonium citrate of some kind rather than the neutral ammonium citrate you started with.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 16:15

If it is in summer in your country, you could dry it in the full heat of the sun. Where I live, I find it easy to dry even things like ammonium nitrate by simply leaving it outside, in a sunny place.

If you live in a colder place/winter, then I suggest you buy some solid drain cleaner (the sodium hydroxide doesn't even have to be pure). Then use that as a dessicant.
Adas
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 11:15

Quote: Originally posted by bbartlog  
Supposedly ammonium citrate loses ammonia when heated much above room temperature. Heating to 100C would likely yield an acid ammonium citrate of some kind rather than the neutral ammonium citrate you started with.

No, no and no. It does not lose ammonia gas when heated. It just caramelises or what.

Weiming: It is still winter here :P But thanks for your idea, I'll keep that in mind.

Rest In Pieces!
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 19:02

From 'The Journal of industrial and engineering chemistry, Volume 6, Part 1', p228 (from 1914):
'The fact that neutral ammonium citrate is very unstable and easily loses ammonia has not been considered in this connection, however'.
They also show a table that gives some indication of how much is lost at 65C and 75C respectively, but I can't quite make out the labeling.
It is possible that this only occurs in aqueous solution, and that dry ammonium citrate would not decompose this way... but that isn't what you have.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.

Go To Top