Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thiourea
aspartame
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-1-2012 at 00:26
Thiourea

Hi Folks, my first post so go easy on me please.
So, I like the idea of synthesizing modafinil; its a fairly trivial synthesis, yet i should be able to utilize some interesting methods along the way.

Anyway, one of my first hurdles along the way is isolating thiourea from an Australian product called Tarn-off which i think is very similar to Tarn-X, a mixture of thiourea and sulfamic acid.

Its been a few years since i've graduated so i'll have to jump back into my textbooks but suggestions would be great.

My first and simplest idea is to use the different solubilities of the two in water (or other otc solvent) and perform a number of recrystalizations

Use of a seporatory funnel, inorganic/organic phases, use of salt or ph to change phase affinity, although sulfamic acid and thiourea appear fairly similar so i'm a little stuck with the approach

use of copper (I) oxide to complex with thiourea, then edta to chealete the cu(I) but that doesn't really help, because i just end up with heaps of stuff in solution! plus i don't know what all the interactions would be.

any comments or advice would be very much apprechiated. sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but i couldn't find it anywhere.

thanks

polymathematical!!
aspartame
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 06:37

no suggestions on how to isolate thiourea from sulfamic acid??

Figured someone would come by with a simple solution...

polymathematical!!

Go To Top