Printable Version  
Author: Subject: recution of 1-bromo-3-nitrobenzene
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 13:36
recution of 1-bromo-3-nitrobenzene

Hello everyone,

I recently prepared a small amount of 1-bromo-3-nitrobenzene from sulfuric acid, potassium bromate, and nitrobenzene. The reaction went just as described in the article provided by DJF90. Anyway I know have a small amount of 1-bromo-3-nitrobenzene that I would like to reduce to 3-bromoaniline. What would be the best way to reduce the NO2 to NH2 without affecting the Br? I know aromatic nitro's are easy to reduce, I just would like some help determining which ways work the best. Would Zn and acetic acid work?

Thanks
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 13:51

This may be relevant:

"investigated an industrial Ni/kieselguhr catalyst with 50% Ni, also in a flow-type catalytic apparatus
at atmospheric pressure. In a catalytic tube, it was found that this catalyst reduces p-chloronitrobenzene
to p-chloroaniline under optimum conditions (150 ~ rate of passage of p-chloronitrobenzene
0.15 ml/min, rate of delivery of hydrogen 35 ml/min) to an extent pf 64%, with 0.8% splitting out of HCl.
Increasing the temperature of the experiment promoted dehalogenation, while lowering the temperature led to a decrease in the yield of p-chloroaniline"

Catalytic reduction of chloronitrobenzene to chloroanilines.
Reduction in the presence of nickel catalysts
N. P. Sokolova, A. A. Balandin, N. P. Maksimova

However, 4-chloro nitrobenzene may be easier to reduce than the 3-bromo nitrobenzene you are asking about, since in the first instance, the amine group which is to be formed will be electron donating to the nitro group.

[Edited on 2-5-2011 by AndersHoveland]

Go To Top