Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hexachloroethane as chlorinating agent
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 18-4-2011 at 14:24
Hexachloroethane as chlorinating agent

does anyone know if Hexachloroethane could be use as a chlorinating agent?
an exemple that i think is this:

(in chloroform)
2Cr + 3C2Cl6 -> 2CrCl3 + 3C2Cl4

if no wath chlorinating agent that the product is not reactive can i use?

I never asked for this.
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2011 at 14:42

No that will not work. However it might work when you use chromium oxide. I did a similar synthesis of some anhydrous CrCl3 by passing CCl4 vapour over Cr2O3 (generated in situ as reactive form by heating CrCl3.6H2O). I think it was red heat. Be careful as phosgene is evolved.
http://amateurchemie.nl/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=299
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2011 at 15:28

iv read on wiki that C2Cl6 is very reductibe to C2Cl4 and chloride and also i read on another document that when mixed with al it make AlCl3 and C2Cl4 (used as fumigen).

i was thinking that Cr is somewath reactive so ....

do anyone have idee of solvent for C2Cl6?

thanks!

I never asked for this.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2011 at 01:28

Al is much more reactive than Cr: see for instance their reduction potentials: Al 3+: - 1.66 V, Cr3+: - 0.74 V.

Organic chlorinating reagents will only work with Cr2O3, possibly at elevated temperatures. There’s then the potential risk of phosgene being former…

Solvent for C2Cl6: dichloromethane.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2011 at 07:57

other question , does C2Cl6 is a good chlorinating agent , and if i heat it to decomposition and condense the fume , do i will get Cl2 sol. in C2Cl4 or it will re-made C2Cl6.

i post this question because i search i good cheap chlorinating agent that the product of chlorination is inert , and i find that i can get cheaply pur C2Cl6.

thanks again!!

I never asked for this.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 19-4-2011 at 13:19

Many metals will react with hexachloroethane. It is not only a matter of reduction potentials. The rate of metals insertion in a carbon-halogen (C-X) bond depend on many factors. For example, palladium, copper, silver, etc, are way weaker in reduction potentials, yet they insert readily in C-X bonds, though the end product of the reaction with C2Cl6 might not necessarily be the corresponding chlorides in all cases. Very often even if a metal is reactive toward something like C2Cl6, it might not necessarily mean that it will also react without prior surface activation. Most metals are surface passivated by oxide layers and need surface activation, etching or ultrasound to start reacting with C-X bond containing compounds. Besides, moisture effectively hinders the reaction.
Chromium is very likely to react with C2Cl6 under proper conditions, provided the surface is activated, but even so, the reaction might be too slow for bulk metal (powdered metals have a very different reactivity).
I guess you can use C2Cl6 for oxidations of metals like Al, Mg, Zn, Fe and several others, but mind that once the reaction kicks in, it will be highly exothermic and will tend to give you runaways, so you need to have a solvent and a limiting reagent control.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 19-4-2011 at 14:14

I would approach all reactions involving oxidation of highly chlorinated alkanes with caution and a good literature search.
Chloroform and carbon tetrachloride are both quite readily oxidised to phosgene and I suspect that hexachloroethane may react in the same way.
Looking things up in books or on the Internet is good for the soul! :)

Go To Top