Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitric acid production
Pathological Scientist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 08:35
Nitric acid production

new to Sciencemadness and hoping there isn't already a discussion going about the production of nitric acid.

Other than ordering online, I've had an incredibly difficult time trying to find nitric acid, or even nitrate salts for that matter. After resorting to instant ice packs, I'm looking to make nitric acid by bubbling nitrogen dioxide through hydrogen peroxide (using the ammonium nitrate, some copper and HCl to produce the gas). Knowing the toxicity of NOx gases and not having a fume hood, I was wondering the safest way to go about this.

Outdoors is probably the obvious answer but it's bellow zero (Celsius) unfortunately at the moment. Without a fume hood, would a well ventilated room be sufficient or will I need to suit up and take it outside and hope my solutions don't freeze?

Cheers
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 08:47

There is a search function and also threads on this subject ;)
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 09:36

If you plan on producing NOx fumes then you really should be doing it outside or in a fume hood. You don't want to chance that stuff lingering in your house.

The method I've used to make nitric acid is by reacting sulfuric acid and a nitrate salt, in my case ammonium nitrate from instant cold packs, and distilling the nitric acid from the mixture. Mine only gave me incredibly dilute acid, but I think that's because I used battery acid which is only 20-30% concentration. I'm going to try again after concentrating my sulfuric by boiling it.

Anyways I like this method because it produces less NOx fumes. A little is evolved from the heat decomposing the acid, but I still did mine outside.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 09:43

here a test of this methode and a safe way (low cost) apparatus to make white fuming nitric acid.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15211
Pathological Scientist
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 12:23

Alright, I'll use the search function now before asking for advice on building a fume hood. It's probably best off not chancing residual NOx vapours.

Thanks!
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 16:15

This has been beat to death but watch NurdRage's tutorial, it has much explanation of every method. NO2 is nasty stuff, I have synthesized nitric acid many times and have worked outside and used a urea catcher for fumes because they will make you pretty sick. If you have the equiptment I would say frac. distillation of conc. sulfuric acid and NaNO3 or KNO3 is the best way, because you can always dilute it from there. Good luck!

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 16-8-2011 at 12:11

Another way you can make nitric acid is by passing air through a high voltage arc and passing the NO2 fumes through plenty of water.

NO2 is nasty, if you don't have a fume hood, do this outside. NO2 reacts with water in mucous membranes to make nitric acid, so be careful.

Go To Top