Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Garlic "Oil" Extraction Techniques
agmotes165
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 9-10-2010 at 09:39
Garlic "Oil" Extraction Techniques

Ok guys and gals, I don't post here very often, so hopefully I won't sound too stupid.

I would like to extract the scent of garlic. I know that ruptured garlic tissue releases an enzyme that turns alliin to in to allicin, which is the main component in the smell of garlic.

I have been contemplating a solvent extraction, using ethanol and a non-polar solvent...however I have also been looking into steam distillation since I have all of the equipment to do so. I am worried about the details of the steam distillation because it seems like a more specific amount of detail about allicin is needed in order to perform a steam extraction.

Which method would you consider the easiest for the purity and efficiency that you get out of it, and if steam distillation is the answer then could anybody provide some insight or guidance as far as what details I need to know and and problems that may arise during the process?

Thanks in advance guys and gals,
agmotes165 :cool:
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 11:10

Steam distill - see attached for historical note

Attachment: alliums.pdf (178kB)
This file has been downloaded 1455 times

arsphenamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 15:29

Alliin is reactive. If extracted under gentle conditions like supercritical CO2
or anhydrous EtOH <0C, it won't keep for long once up to RT. OTOH, you
won't get it at all using steam or RT solvent extractions.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 21:57

Drizzle whole garlic head with crude oleic acid triglyceride and sprinkle with granulated NaCl. Place in the oven at 177C for one hour. During that hour, shit yourself over the mouthwatering aroma wafting from your oven. When complete, extract cloves from their husks and spread on buttered toast, a good crusty French bread.

I suppose you could go ahead and extract it from the mush, but why? It's sooo goddamned delicious to eat :D :D :D :D :D

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
agmotes165
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-10-2010 at 08:11

haha 12AX7 that post is awesome...

I'm mainly going for the scent of garlic more than anything, I love garlic a lot...tis the shit. Anyway I'm mainly doing it to prove a point to a friend. not_important i will take a look at that attachment later today I'm looking forward to it...If i have questions I will be sure to post them here :D

Thanks guys and gals,
agmotes165 :cool:
calamus
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 07:29

u wanna extract the essential oil "aroma of garlic"
the best is steam distillation
or you can use cold pressing techniques
or infusion
zabineL
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 01:57

Here are some tips for you. Freeze-drying. The freeze-drying of fresh garlic cloves is a method of flash evaporation at low temperature in a partial vacuum. This method results in virtually no changes in chemical composition, and the resulting product is often used for culinary purposes. Low Temperature Drying. This process involves drying sliced fresh cloves at temperatures <50°C for 3–4 d. Some allicin is formed due to the slicing process. Distillation. Steam-distilled garlic contains principally allyl sulfides. Allicin is volatile and may be lost or converted to the allyl sulfide degradation compounds. . Maceration in Oil. Chopped garlic is homogenized and slowly extracted (maceration) in soybean or another vegetable oil.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 20-10-2010 at 17:23

Garlic seems to be pretty heat sensitive. Raw Garlic is hot and spicy. Take a few cloves of such garlic, and microwave it for approximately 60 seconds. The product will still be sort of garlic-y, but it will be soft, spreadable, and sweet.

Go To Top