Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Babington burner
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-8-2010 at 11:27
Babington burner

Very simply, I'm looking at making a Babington burner for home heating from used engine oil. I've done a LOT of web reading, but I'm looking for real world experience.

I'm planning a waste oil burner of about 6 - 10kW has anyone made one, has anyone any real life experience to share please.

Hopefully mine will be an enclosed design! This is for a home not a workshop! NO oil drum technology!
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-8-2010 at 11:37

Quote: Originally posted by Contrabasso  
I've done a LOT of web reading, but I'm looking for real world experience.
I started to work on one a few years ago. My only concrete advice is that when you're drilling orifices with 10 mil drills, you need a very solidly clamped setup to avoid breaking bits. Harbor Freight sells an assortment of micro drills; two of the ten in the package are generally suitable for orifices.
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-8-2010 at 13:35

I'm considering having three separately blown nozzles! One blown with propane for easy lighting, two blown with air for raw heat power, separately controlled so that the boiler has three power settings.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 22-8-2010 at 16:45

I've made as-cast holes using solder and enameled wire (10 mil ~= 30AWG). Works if it stays cool.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2010 at 06:42

Quote: Originally posted by 12AX7  
I've made as-cast holes using solder and enameled wire (10 mil ~= 30AWG). Works if it stays cool.

Tim

Great idea. You might also try copper plating the soldered holes , with the enameled wire in place to give them strength. and a little more heat resistance. Using Cerrosafe or Wood's Metal cast around a ball of putty with a fine wire, thread, or fishing filament through it would allow you to plate around a much smaller hole. Just an idea.
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2010 at 10:30

Strangely the fine holes pose no problem! I have a friend who has a suitable drilling machine for this size hole and the bits, I also have a contact at a laser fabrication firm who regularly cut precision holes about this size (but I have to pay them :( ! ).
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 02:56

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
you need a very solidly clamped setup to avoid breaking bits.

Can you guess what I'm tired of finding in my toolbox? :D

Some people had a go at making these on the hobby_cast forum as an alternative to propane burners for melting aluminium or iron, but it never got past the yellow stage.

A few possible options for blue flame melting;

Use a vapouriser coil heated by a secondary flame (ala, a DIY turbine fuel coil - Kurt ?Schreckling?, I think you'd like that book Watson)

Bosch make helical vapouriser nozzles for cars. They're essentially a bar with a helix lathed around the circumference that the oil passes through, it gets heated along the way and then bursts out the tip as an atomised fog.

Use a zeolite filter of epic scale to increase the O2 in the mix.

A pressure washer powered nozzle for fogging? The guys who keep frogs / orchids / grow sheds of mushrooms use something similar, high pressure fogger nozzles. There's some in the tropical greenhouses at the Kew Royal Botanical gardens. Well worth a visit if you like planties.

Obviously, a monoxide detector is essential if it's yellow and in your home; monoxide, the silent killer.

[Edited on 8-9-2010 by peach]

Go To Top