Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: why does iron smell?
condennnsa
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2010 at 23:55
why does iron smell?

Hey, maybe this is a noob question but i was wondering why metallic iron has such a strong smell, especially after washing a shiny piece thouroughly with water...
I found mumbled references on the internet:

"The key component is called 1-octen-2-one, which smells fungal-metallic even when highly diluted. The precursors to the odor molecules are lipid peroxides, which are produced when oils on skin are oxidized by certain enzymes or other processes (e.g. under UV light). These lipid ... "

But i really doubt that's true, for the only reason that even if you wear gloved hands, to sand a piece of iron, then wash it with lots of water to get rid of all the powder, the smell remains.

So how come the Fe atoms go airborne all the way to my nose, provided iron doesn't just sublimate, or maybe it does... ? thanks!
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 18-8-2010 at 11:37

A little off topic but a similar smell may be experienced when filing aluminum, magnesium and carburetor(believe it is zinc) alloys.

Might be arsenic, phosphorus or sulfur impurities reacting catalytic with air/moisture when fresh metal is exposed. Just a speculation from my side, really do not know but I confirm you findings as I have done a lot of metalwork (had a blacksmithing hobby a couple years back).

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-8-2010 at 13:52

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5679
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-8-2010 at 22:00

Octenone.

When dissolving alloys in acid (including iron and aluminum), assorted sulfur and phosphorus compounds are released. Apparently, the phosphorus compounds are much smellier than plain old phosphine and diphosphine (which are also pyrophoric); the reason is they contain organic molecules, I suppose as a result of bonds inside the metal (perhaps P and C atoms occupying adjecent interstices in the metal). Add water, and the bonds become hydrated (and hydrogenated).

Steel is very interesting stuff... supposedly, the famous wootz steel contains nanotubes and branched buckyballs, in addition to traditional cementite and microstructural features.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top