Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Controlling a microwave oven
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-8-2010 at 10:41
Controlling a microwave oven

OK probably verging on elec eng, however....

I want a microwave oven that will run off a 500w invertor because that's all I have! However can a small cheap domestic microwave be turned down in 100% duty cycle? yes I realise that the controller is given a power equivalent, but it is time proportional so half power is full power for 50% duty cycle. I want to drive half power into it for 100% duty cycle.
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 16-8-2010 at 11:54

No. The magnetron is a vacuum tube with a heated cathode. It requires a fairly narrow voltage range to work. The magnetron itself probably would put out zero energy below a threshold voltage between the cathode and the "plate".

Either get a smaller oven (there are some low power ones), a bigger inverter, or a "inverter style" oven which actually regulates the power output (though it probably just chops it at a high frequency.

You ---might--- (a big ---might----) be able to run the inverter at a higher power for ---a very few minutes--- if you then stop & let it cool. Absolutely no guarantees. Some inverters are rated "500w continuous, 750W 10% duty cycle" or something like that.

Go To Top