Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The mathematics of insect attractants
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 12-2-2008 at 14:54
The mathematics of insect attractants

Hating flies and mozzies at bbq's i have for years pondered why there are no commercial products that incorporate powerful insect attractants (i think the sexual pheromones are particularly potent) that you place some distance away from your social/bbq setting that would drive all the insects away from you.

All commercial products involve repellants. Mathematically it is easy to see why repellants are effective. The repellant is placed closest to the center of area of required effect and its efficacy would decay off in some parabolic fashion from it. My experience is that although flies and mosiquitio's generally do not land on the repellant, the efficacy has decayed off to almost nothing by the edge of the table if the repellant is in the middle.

So thinking about the mathematics of an attractant placed a distance away from your bbq. Firstly would it simply just shift populations of insects toward the attractant, hence resulting in no net reduction in insect populations over your social area. If this were the case then encircling your bbq/social/picnic area with attractant would result in a ring of swarming high density insect population that decay's to almost nothing at the center of the area (ie the picnic/bbq). THIS WOULD BE GOOD!!!

Any wind is obviously gonna fuck things up.

Bah can someone from Mortein tell me i'm wasting my time.

not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-2-2008 at 15:26

Problem is that you are also generating attractants - H2O, CO2, NH3, warmth. So what you need is the outer ring of attractants (catalytic propane/butane burners), the an inner cluster of repellant.

BTW - most repellents work by 'jamming' the insects chemosensors, so it can no longer sense the gradients in CO2 or whatever; this reduces its search for prey to the classic drunkards walk - it still may encounter you by chance.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2008 at 16:11

I would sure like to know of any good and cheap insect repellants or pheromones. It is high summer here in New Zealand now, and blowflies by day and mosquitos by night are a terrible problem in my area. The mosquito repellants sold here, containing substances like picaridin, are grossly overpriced. I wonder what happened to good old dimethyl phthalate (DIMP). There is a commercial repellant still sold here with the brand-name DIMP, but it now contains no dimethyl phthalate at all, and its price is exorbitant! Does anyone know of any good sources of dimethyl phthalate?
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 14-2-2008 at 21:32
probably bioaccumulates like dioctylphlathhate

i think they ended-up establishing quite definitively di-octyl phlalate bioaccumulated through the food chain and manifested in weak egg shells in avarian populations hence decreasing their reproduction rates.
Been sometime since i've been involved in plasticisers. Di-octyl phlathate is the 'new car smell and was used extensively as a plasticiser or softener.It tended to leach out of the polmyers it was used in. it used to be a great liquid to use as a vapour trap.
So imagine dimethyl would play the same game, never knew it was a repellant though.

Interesting that insects run along a CO2 gradient i always assumed it was heat/IR for mozzies. I remember reading how they understood the chemical signiature that ants followed along their paths but they could never figure out how the ants perceived which direction was the colony ad which direction was the food. There were some robotics dudes in my building who were building a robot ant that followed a scent. They had funny stories.

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2008 at 22:49

I remember reading a few years ago that scientists had finally isolated the substance in human sweat that attracts mosquitos. I think it was a branched-chain alcohol, possibly something like n-octan-2-ol.

Go To Top