Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to Make Mn3O4 from MnCo3
smartsam125
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-8-2007 at 02:49
How to Make Mn3O4 from MnCo3

It would be really helpfull if you could sugust a process to Make Mn3O4 from MnCo3
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 30-8-2007 at 03:12

Please delete and repost this to the Potassium manganite thread or the permanganate thread.

Also may we assume you mean MnCO3 not MnCo3?

[Edited on 30-8-2007 by Sauron]
smartsam125
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-8-2007 at 03:55

Thank you Sauron for taking out time to reply. It is MnCO3 (Manganese Carbonate) and I want to make Manganese oxide (Mn3O4) out of it. Please if you can help
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 30-8-2007 at 04:38

I'll probably incur the wrath of Sauron, but here goes!

Well, strong heating of your MnCO3 in air should do the trick.
MnCO3 will be converted to MnO2, and hence to Mn3O4. I guess you'll need temperatures exceeding 1000oC.
Apparently all other Mn oxides convert to Mn3O4 when ignited in air.
The brownish-red powdered material can be heated in a slow current of HCl to convert it into the red crystalline state. Natural mineral is hausmanite.

Edit: Heating a small quantity of MnCO3 in a stainless steel spoon over a meker burner to red heat appears to work, though takes a while!

Regards, Xenoid

[Edited on 30-8-2007 by Xenoid]
smartsam125
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-8-2007 at 02:40

Dear Xenoid,

Thank you for taking out time to reply to my question.

As stated in your reply Did you get the reddish colour when you heated MnCO3 on Meker Burner.

I am sending you a link which show the product with its specification desired by me.

http://www.mmc.co.za/products.asp?id=13

In case you can help I will be highly obliged
Xenoid
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2007 at 04:51

Colours are very subjective, and digital images are almost never match those in real life.

I have never seen real Mn3O4 and no, the colour of my product did not really match that shown in the link. It was more a brownish colour with a hint of redness to it. I threw it away so I can't take a photo. My burner was not working properly (it keeps flashing back when turned up high) so I could not really get enough heat, a proper blow torch or high temperature kiln is required. The material needs to be thoroughly heated to red heat.

The method I described comes from a well renown text book. Perhaps someone else could verify this.

Regards, Xenoid
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2007 at 05:51

I've a couple of books that say heat a higher oxide to 980-1050 C for four to eight hours. This might be influenced by how thick the layer or oxide is, how easily it can exchange oxygen with the atmosphere. As you are starting with Mn(II) you'll want to get good contact with air, maybe even stirring the heated powder.

If you use a flame to heat it, you will need to avoid having combustion gases reach the oxide, else lower oxides be formed as well.

The actual amount of time is going to depend on how pure you want the oxide to be, the longer you heat it the closer to Mn3O4 it will get.

The colour is going to somewhat depend on the starting material and heating history, starting from MnCO3 is likely to give a finer grain, lighter coloured result than starting from MnO2; longer heater will likely increase the crystal size and deepen the colour.

you can some variation in the photo

[img]http://www.chinapans.com/images/Manganous%20Manganic%20Oxide.jpg?osCsid=66980fc999b1e0e5eb7fcc87ccd47d15[/img]
Xenoid
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2007 at 10:12

If you are planning to go into industrial scale production of this material you would be well advised to seek the advice of an industrial chemist or mineral processing engineer. You would be ill-advised to assume that an amateur chemist somewhere, heating stuff in a stainless steel spoon is the basis for an industrial process.

Although basically it may appear that running MnCO3 through a powdering process and heating it, in say, a rotary kiln may appear a quite straight forward process, in practise it almost never is. Scaling up of simple laboratory processes is often fraught with difficulty. I have personal experience of this. Depending on the end use for products such as say Mn3O4, there is ever more demand for strict quality control. The control of such aspects, as say purity, granularity (both size and distribution) and continuity of supply will be paramount.

Mining companies and mineral processors have many years of experience, trade secrets and patents to aid them in this control.

Best wishes, Xenoid
smartsam125
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 02:54
Anyone in this Forum Knows Chinese or from China

Dear Friends,

In the below mentioned link there is article to make Mn3O4 from MnSO4 solution but the website is in Chinese. I could translate this page but could not reach the article which was published in some China Manganese Magazine.

http://scholar.ilib.cn/A-zgmengy200303004.html

If anyone could help me get that article I would be highly obliged. In case there is any cost involved I am ready to bear the same.

The abstract of the article is mentioned below

Manganese Sulfate Solution Preparation electronic-Mn3O4 Research

Study on Producing Mangano-Manganic Oxide from Manganous Sulphate Solution Study on Producing Mangano - Manganic oxide from Manganous Sulphate Solution

Introduced to manganese sulfate solution was prepared electronic-Mn3O4 way, the reaction of the thermodynamic analysis of the process are given for the process conditions. Preparation of high purity, high specific surface area of Mn3O4.
smartsam125
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 03:17
--- Merged From Separate Thread ---

Dear Friends,

In the below mentioned link there is article to make Mn3O4 from MnSO4 solution but the website is in Chinese. I could translate this page but could not reach the article which was published in some China Manganese Magazine.

http://scholar.ilib.cn/A-zgmengy200303004.html

If anyone could help me get that article I would be highly obliged. In case there is any cost involved I am ready to bear the same.

The abstract of the article is mentioned below

Manganese Sulfate Solution Preparation electronic-Mn3O4 Research

Study on Producing Mangano-Manganic Oxide from Manganous Sulphate Solution Study on Producing Mangano - Manganic oxide from Manganous Sulphate Solution

Introduced to manganese sulfate solution was prepared electronic-Mn3O4 way, the reaction of the thermodynamic analysis of the process are given for the process conditions. Preparation of high purity, high specific surface area of Mn3O4.

[Edited on 3-9-2007 by I am a fish]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 04:00

How many threads on same topic do you intend to start?

I suggest you delete this one and report this in your other thread on making Mn2O3.

----------

The new thread has been merged into the existing thread

smartsam125: Don't start new threads unless they concern a completely different chemical topic. It becomes very inconvenient for other users if discussion of a particular chemical or process gets split in two.

[Edited on 3-9-2007 by I am a fish]
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 04:45

you need to write here...

sale@wanfangdata.com.cn

...and ask for this study they will inform you how to secure it in a pdf and the cost.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Study on Producing Mangano-Manganic Oxide from Manganous Sulphate Solution
TAM - chu, MEI Guang
China's Manganese Industry #3, 2003

Abstract

Keywords: Mn3O4, manganese sulfate solution, Preparation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
or send this id, from their page..........

硫酸锰溶液制备电子级四氧化三锰的研究 Study on Producing Mangano-Manganic Oxide from Manganous Sulphate Solution
谭柱中 梅光贵 陈飞宇
介绍了以硫酸锰溶液为原料制备电子级四ૐ 7;化三锰的方法,对反应过程进行了热力学分 6512;,给出了适合的工艺条件.制备出了高纯度、 ;高比表面积的四氧化三锰.
中国锰业 China's Manganese Industry 2003年,第03期

........of course if you would have put your request in the wanted reference section maybe somoene with a Wanfangdata access might have gotten this for you also that is the place to ask for translations , and there is also google translator...........solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.

Go To Top