Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PP cone lined or PTFE cap for HCl
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 20:36
PP cone lined or PTFE cap for HCl

I have 1L of 37% HCl in a plastic bottle that I want to transfer to several small glass bottles. I have polypropylene cone-lined Bakelite caps and also caps lined with Teflon disks with silicone backings.

Which would be the better choice for storing the HCl if I intend to use it very slowly and sparingly?
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 31-10-2017 at 03:51

They should all be fairly resistant to chemical attack - I know polypropylene and Teflon easily handle HCl, even H2SO4. Bakelite is the part I'm concerned about, I can't seem to find any information on its compatibilities but it has been stated that it is 'chemical resistant' ambiguously. Addition polymers, as these all are, are generally good at handling reagents. The ones to avoid are polyesters like PET since they can hydrolyse.

Are your Teflon lined caps like these, I.E a 'spongy' disc? If so, they will be fine, I've got these on a lot of my bottles containing hazardous reagents and they're untouched. Since your HCl isn't concentrated enough to be fuming, I'd be less worried about the caps deteriorating.

IMG_0287.JPG - 1.5MB

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.

Go To Top