Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Combining water sediment filter with activated carbon..
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 05:31
Combining water sediment filter with activated carbon..

I'm sure most of you know the cylindrical filters used for sediment filtering (usually 1 or 5 micron). Standard size is 10" long and 2.5" wide. It is placed in a filter housing and water passed into the hollow core through the outside and then up and out of the core.

I was wondering what the thoughts are on the following modification. Put the bottom of a filter in an epoxy resin so it is completely sealed, maybe 1/8-1/4" deep. Inside the inner cavity, fill it with activated carbon (small granuels or whatever seems appropriate) and then place some kind of filter cloth, polyester or cotton on top of the carbon leaving about 1/4" headspace to pour epoxy. Pour epoxy so that the entire top of filter is covered (1/16" is sufficient I'm sure, it just to prevent water from entering throught the top) and the center cavity is filled (the 1/4" headspace).

Once dried, drill out the 1/4" epoxy enough to add some kind of hose barb or screw-in attachment (I guess putting a vinyl tube would work as well, then use a double barb to connect hose to other hose) and add epoxy/glue if needed to create adequate seal under pressure.

Now you have a filter that will remove sediment and then it will pass through the carbon inner cavity and out the "barb". This could be used in a number of applications where the filter is dropped into a bucket of whatever and attached to a hose which is attached to a pump.

I have never used filter housings but I'm sure a similar modification could be made to make this work there as well. I know they make carbon filters but when a 10" x 2.5" filter states it uses 5gr of carbon, I have to wonder how long it is going to last and how much it is going to miss.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 06:22

That might work, but very hard to visualize exactly what you mean without a photo or drawing.

But they already make water filters like what you are describing for home water filtration, including ones with activated charcoal filtering. Home Depot and Lowes sell them, and it would be hard to make one yourself as cheaply as they sell them for. They also have units with resin beads for removing heavy metals and such, you could even add other resins to remove specific anions or cations better. One of my friends with well water uses them for clean his whole house water, as well as a second one at the kitchen sink faucet. They work OK.

Go To Top