Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: When was the first time water was discovered in outerspace?
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 15:25
When was the first time water was discovered in outerspace?

If I remember correctly, they discovered it on planets twice within the last two months? (It might have been three times I just saw an article on pluto)

To rejog my memory, what were the latest planets shown to have water

And

When was water first discovered in space?

I think the first planet was shown to have a subterranean ocean(forget what this was)
Second was Mars
And third pluto

I thought this was a pretty huge discovery as I was under the impression the only time they found water was a mistake and it was actually from astronauts urine
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 17:18

I think water has been detected as early as we obtained spectroscopic techniques to detect it. It has certainly been found on a large number of planets and moons.
Liquid water is another matter.
Flowing liquid water such has been detected on Mars is another matter again. Implications are that there is some kind of water cycle. (According to some news reports, this means that life is inevitable. No leaps of logic there whatsoever :rolleyes:. But I digress.)
I forget the details. I always get my moons muddled. But there is liquid water and even subterranean oceans in a few places in the solar system. A quick search will get you the information you want.

Here's one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 19:19

I'm not sure if I phrased it right in my post
I'm a little confused now on how to word things...

Anyways, does anyone have a reference to when the first time water of any kind was discovered in space?

Did anyone else hear about how NASA thought they found water and it happened to be urine from one of the missions? This could have been bs, I remember hearing it was one of the biggest Oops moments in NASA history

Go To Top