Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Separating MgSO4 from CuSO4
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 01:19
Separating MgSO4 from CuSO4

I'm doning electrolysis of copper electrodes in MgSO4 solution with a salt bridge. Copper sulfate is being produced but it also has MgSO4. How can I separate the two?

hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 14:32

What I did was use a membrane between the two electrode. In my case I used two dishes with a wet paper towel connecting them. I calculated how much electricity would need to flow to take all the Mg ions to the cathode and then let it run a bit longer than that (I had to replace the cathode solution several times because the MgOH formed does not conduct well, but this did not affect the anode side). When I evaporated the solution I still had some MgSO4 though - presumably because the solutions mix somewhat through the paper towel. Not sure how to do better than this.
HNO3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 15:08

Fractional crystalization. The CuSO4 will be the blue crystals. Otherwise, you might try mixing it with alcohol, to precipitate the CuSO4, but I'm not sure about this.

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 15:45

The only alcohol I have is isopropyl (99%). The internet doesn't have much on solubility of salts in this alcohol. When I added the copper sulfate and magnesium sulfate solution, it started crystallizing.

[Edited on 1/1/2005 by guy]

guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 16:08
Crystallizing out MgSO4

Would only the MgSO4 crystallize out if I place a seed crystal of MgSO4 in the solution and leaving behind only CuSO4?

How long would this take?

Thanks

HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-12-2004 at 17:12

Do you have methanol or glycerol to spare? Methanol can be gotten from Heet(r). CuSO4 is only soluble in methanol and glycerol, but MgSO4 is only slightly soluble in them. Then evaporate the solution.

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 01:30

Just wondering...

Will the magnesium hydroxide produced be equal to 1/7 of the magnesium sulfate heptahydrate produced?

HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 12:35

I don't think any magnesium hydroxide eill form. If you have a sopper sulfate seed crystal, the CuSO4 might crystalize out though. All my copper salt solutions have slowly crystalized out on their own.

guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 14:09

No.... I mean in the cathode side were hydrogen is produced.

HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 14:56

Oh. I don't know.

Go To Top