Printable Version  
Author: Subject: seperation of formaldehyde and urea
Stijn
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2004 at 01:35
seperation of formaldehyde and urea

Hello,
I'm doing a project on the production of adblue at the Technical University of Delft. Our aim to purify fertilizer-grade urea into process-grade urea. This means we have to seperate formaldhyde and biuret from the urea. Any ideas how to do this?
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2004 at 05:53

I was under the impression any free formaldehyde would react with urea to form an adduct so maybe uits the adduct you need to remove?

Standard lab purification for urea last I looked was fractional crystalisation from water not exceeding 50C.
Stijn
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-12-2004 at 06:05

Yes we need to remove the adduct. The adduct is UF, urea-formaldehyde. This is the problem. I'm a mechanical engineer so I do not have a chemical background. It might be quite easy, but I don't have any idea how to do this... I was thinking of adding an absorbent to remove the UF?!
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 6-12-2004 at 14:01

Does formaldehyde form a bisulfite adduct?

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 10:07

Fractional crystalisation should work well, UF should not be very soluable in water. You may even get away with making a concentrated solution in water (so there is some residue) and filtering.

So long as the solution is kept under 50C there should be no noticable decomposition to furthur biuret.

Since adblue is a solution in water anyway, furthur dilution should result in adblue (or an adblue equivalent solution) directly.
Stijn
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 10:44

Problem is that the urea is supplied in prills. We need to heat the prills to above the melting point for urea (+/- 135C) to solute the urea in water properly, don't we?! And then there is decomposition to further biuret. Is fractional crystalisation then still an option? Thank for your comment anyway Marvin!
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2004 at 17:07

You should have said you were using a prilled form. No it should not be needed to melt them to dissolve in water, have you tried grinding them first? Urea tends to be rather soluable, I suspect the prills you have are coated with something.
Stijn
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 00:40
Stijn Harms

Yes the urea is coated with Urea Formaldehyde. Our aim is to make adblue out of fertilizer grade urea. So we need to purified it. So indeed after grinding it's quite easy soluble in water.
Two boudary conditions for the proces are that we have to produce 5000L/day and that everything has to fit in a standard skid. So maybe fractional crystallisation would not be fast ebough??!
Stijn
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 03:04

Marvin, the percentage of the formaldehyde that we need to seperate is not very high. The fertilizer-grade urea has 0.18wgt% urea-formaldehyde and we need 0.01wgt%. Isn't it so that when you solute this in water you just have formaldehyde in water? So, what about reverse-osmosis? that should work to my opinion?!

Go To Top