Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Transesterification
killswitch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 06:43
Transesterification

I encountered this phenomenon firsthand when trying to purify picric acid via recrystallization from hot 95% ethanol. There was a distinct smell of trace NO2, and a milky blob resembling crude nitroglycerin formed and sank to the bottom. I obviously don't have a NMR available at my place of residence, but would I be correct in assuming that this was ethyl nitrate? I thank Schrodinger that I had not used methanol. I used a very long plastic pipette to gingerly remove the blob and dilute it with acetone before burning it outside.

Has anyone else had unfortunate encounters with this phenomenon? What steps should be taken to minimize it? And what ratio of 2,4 to 2,6 TNP is likely in solution?
Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 12:19

I doubt there was enough H2SO4 and HNO3 present in the Picric acid to form ethyl nitrate. Especially if the Picric acid had a couple of cold water washes.
Ethyl Nitrite might have formed but not in significant quantities.
Was your Picric acid made from pure Phenol ?

"Chance favours the prepared mind"
"Fuck It !! We'll do it live !!"
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 12:40

How does your blob behave like? How does your remaining "picric acid"? behave like?
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 26-2-2013 at 12:47

Quote: Originally posted by killswitch  
I encountered this phenomenon firsthand when trying to purify picric acid via recrystallization from hot 95% ethanol. There was a distinct smell of trace NO2, and a milky blob resembling crude nitroglycerin formed and sank to the bottom. I obviously don't have a NMR available at my place of residence, but would I be correct in assuming that this was ethyl nitrate? I thank Schrodinger that I had not used methanol. I used a very long plastic pipette to gingerly remove the blob and dilute it with acetone before burning it outside.

Has anyone else had unfortunate encounters with this phenomenon? What steps should be taken to minimize it? And what ratio of 2,4 to 2,6 TNP is likely in solution?

I'm not an organic chemist, but ethyl nitrate wouldn't have been my first guess. But I suppose it would depend on what exactly was in your picric acid before you started recrystallizing it.

You can't have 2,4 or 2,6 TNP. Trinitrophenol will be 2,4,6. Dinitrophenol will be mostly 2,4-DNP (I can't find a cite at the moment, but I do recall an undergraduate lab where we nitrated chlorobenzene to get the pure 2,4-nitro product; any 2,6 was a minor impurity that was not isolated).

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
killswitch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 07:31

The blob behaved just like nitroglycerin, only a lot less viscous.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 22:30

It ignites a little difficult, burns fast with knida gray color?
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 15:07

I don't think you are observing transesterification. Picric acid is a nitro aromatic not a nitric ester. Also, I don't think aromatic nitrations are in most cases considered reversible, unlike the reversible esterification reactions producing nitroglycerine, nitrocellulose or ethyl nitrate for instance. There are often resinous products that separate out as a blob during a picric acid recrystallization, but these are normally yellow to red in color, not milky white from my experience and from reading what others have to say. To tell the truth though, I think I have seen resinous blobs before that were very pale yellow, almost white, during a recrystallization.

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij

Go To Top