Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: purifying secondary amine
soma
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-6-2012 at 03:45
purifying secondary amine

We've got about 1/4 of a 1L bottle of dipropylamine that's been sitting for several years. I was wondering what impurities might be in there now and how to purify it.

Help appreciated.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 24-6-2012 at 07:52

How is it stored?

If in an amber glass bottle in appropriate conditions, e.g. away from any acids, oxidizers etc., I can't see too many impurities building up...although a quick distillation to be sure wouldn't be a bad thing (just be sure to do it in a fume hood!).

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
soma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-6-2012 at 15:47

It's in amber glass. I wondered if the CO2 in the air might cause a problem. I know that CO2 in the air can cause some problems with NaOH after awhile.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2012 at 08:57

Secondary amines will get impure by several routes over time. They absorb CO2 for form the carbonate salts, which often create solids on the bottle lid. They also can air oxidize to form N-oxides, which render them useless in normal amine chemistry like forming amides. And they can react with water and air to form more complex dimers and oxidation products, which is typically more of a problem with benzyl amines.

The simplest way to purify an amine like dipropylamine would be to distill it, even a simple distillation will provide much purer amine, although you will need to do it under vacuum or under nitrogen (or some other inert atmosphere) for the best results, as any air or CO2 will react even faster when it is warm. But typically a simple distillation will remove most of the byproducts, as almost all of them are higher molecular weight and BP than the amine. If you really want it pure, distilling from a drying agent like CaH2, KOH, or other basic drying agent will help even more. (Please do make sure that it is compatible with the amine used). Just watch the BP and when it starts rising above where it was steady, stop collecting.

Go To Top