Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DNB
Ral123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2012 at 11:20
DNB

Due to being ultra bored and not having benzene I took 3 parts H2SO4 and 1 part HNO3 and began to add fine sodium benzoate powder. To about 150ml mixed acids I added about 3 teaspoons benzoate. The temp was max 70 degrees. The solution isn't too yellow. I really wanted insoluble product whatever it is. I poored some of it in water and it become much more yellow and no product. I still have 2/3 of the mixture. Do I have chances or the best I can do is soak some cotton in it and play with the boring NC?
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2012 at 13:53

yeah sounds like a boring sunday afternoon...
i would add cold water to whatever is left but the chances of nitrating an aromatic beyond 2 nitro groups without oleum are pretty slim..
have fun!

Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2012 at 13:59

For TNB its like 2liters oleum for 50g product. And takes 4 days at some tempreture :D But DNB is easier then TNT. The DNB is with melting point like 70 °C and is supposed to be insoluble. Do I have a chance if I buy toluene to make DNT?
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2012 at 14:07

i made some once and i am sure you can too...keep it arround 60C for at least 15 minutes then add cold water and filter it . its a yellow powder insoluble in water , you'll get 2 isomeres i think the mono nitro is liquid(paste like ) and clearly smell like nitro benzen, so as long as its not a solid you have to continue the nitration..
but again you can only go so far without oleum

Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2012 at 14:13

Can you please give some proportions for DNT?(from toluene to dnt in one stage) I'm considering it for high density anfo.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 29-1-2012 at 14:43

Quote: Originally posted by Ral123  
For TNB its like 2liters oleum for 50g product. And takes 4 days at some tempreture :D But DNB is easier then TNT. The DNB is with melting point like 70 °C and is supposed to be insoluble. Do I have a chance if I buy toluene to make DNT?

TNB is accessible via TNT. It is first oxidized as in http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv1...

Instead of isolating the pure acid, following removal of the unreacted TNT, the solution is heated, causing decarboxylation to Trinitrobenzene.

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv1...

This route requires less trying conditions than for the direct nitration of benzene. If m-xylene is accessible, the trinitration will be even more facile, but at the cost of more dichromate and probably some yield.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 29-1-2012 at 15:03

When you get a strong, sweet smell of almonds, you'll know you're onto something . . . :D

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2012 at 02:37

TNB is anyway too exotic for me but DNB(1,5g./cm, det vel-6000) is TNT alternative.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2012 at 08:14

After sitting quite a long time, there was some insoluble stuff in the mixture. Today I filtered it,washed it and dried it. It doesn't burn with too bright flame. It burns much like the sodium benzoate. But I think there was some c-nitration :D And I think its pretty good for a 14 year punk that doesn't know what the f**k he's doing and only knows that this is not how it's done :P

Go To Top