Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mystery compound..?
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 17:07
Mystery compound..?

I attempted a synthesis of methylethyl ketazine (w/ 20% NH4OH) for the second time now. Nothing separated from the mixture. In my frustration I mixed a ~40% H2SO4 solution of ~75 ml. The mixture heated up about 20-30 C and a pale yellow Orange liquid rapidly floated to the top. The fluid burns readily and leaves behind a viscous yellow liquid very similar to honey. What could it be?! I have some ideas, but not any worth stating.

BOLD

Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 17:31

The orange stuff is maybe a condensation compound between methylethylketone and sulfuric acid.

How good is your stirring? I had a low yield of methyl ethyl ketazine following a method similar to NurdRage's method, except I didn't use a magnetic stirrer.

Methylethylketazine is said in literature to smell like coniin. Has anyone also smelled coniin and can confirm?

Btw. acetone azine smells just like the methyl ethyl ketazine. They are quite pleasent smelling I think, though probably quite toxic since they hydrolyze to hydrazine.

Your methylethylketazine should look like this:

methylethylketazine1.png - 550kB methylethylketazine2.png - 626kB methylethylketazine3.png - 599kB methylethylketazine4.png - 566kB
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 17:32

you probably separated the MEK again.some have had success separating the ketazine layer by adding toluene.
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 14-1-2012 at 18:28

I don't have a mag-stirrer, but I did slosh around constantly while adding the bleach by burette over an hour. I think I gained some muscle mass over that ;). Ill try toluene tomorrow, its a bitch though when you have to concentrated the ammonia every time. I might try the Hoffman rearangement if the hypochlorite-ketazine process doesn't work for me for a third time in a row..

BOLD

Go To Top