Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Triazanium Salts
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2011 at 17:54
Triazanium Salts

This thread is about the parent molecule N3H5, which can be stabilized as an isolatable product under certain conditions.

Tetrazene, N4H4 is the parent molecule of the explosive derivitive of the same name, but N4H4 cannot be isolated.

Quote:

Reactions of triazanium sulfate with barium compounds, BaX2 (X = N3 or others) yield salts of triazane, (NH2)3X . The half life of aqueous 0.1 M triazanium azide solution is 170 minutes.

"Chemistry of pseudohalides", Andriĭ Matviĭovych Holub, H. Köhler, V. V. Skopenko, (1986), p62

Quote:

Triazanium sulfate. N3H5 • H2S04 = [N3H7]SO4. is a somewhat more stable compound; it is formed from hydrazine and hydroxylamine O-sulfonic acid. The parent base triazane cannot be released from its salt without decomposition. Triazanium chloride decomposes spontaneously.

"Inorganic chemistry", Egon Wiberg, Nils Wiberg, Arnold Frederick Holleman, p627

Also see,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triazene

I was not sure where the best place to put this thread was. I could not find any other appropriate threads on this forum. Since it is only of potential interest as an explosive, the energetic section seemed to be the best place.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 16-12-2011 at 12:13

I wonder if solid tetrazanium dinitramide could be isolated?
N3H6N3O4

Or a nitrotetrazolate salt of tetrazane?
The 2-oxide of nitrotetrazole exists.
CN8H6O3
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 13-3-2014 at 11:19

This cation should be taken more into consideration although it is kind of unstable. What about triazanium nitrate?

I also think hydroxyhydrazine could be protonated to be a good cation with good oxygen balance and density similar to hydroxylamine.

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
I wonder if solid tetrazanium dinitramide could be isolated?
N3H6N3O4

Or a nitrotetrazolate salt of tetrazane?
The 2-oxide of nitrotetrazole exists.
CN8H6O3

I thought of the same thing! I think it might be too unstable since the dinitramide cation's hof. Hydroxylammonium dinitramide is synthesized and to my surprise it can be isolated into a solid, no explosive properties has yet been reported.

Ander's posts are one of the bests on this forum, where did he go?

[Edited on 13-3-2014 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2014 at 10:24

I found a patent on (NH2)3+ ClO4- The sensitivity is not given however it is likely to be high.
Synthesis of Triazanium perchlorate.
http://www.google.com/patents/US3976753

I wonder has anyone found any information on triazanium nitrate? (NH2)3+ NO3-, Or empirically N4H6O3. The oxygen balance is perfect! This explosive is Ultimate clean producing only nitrogen and water with insane gas production of 1017L/kg. The impact sensitivity might be very high. The density of this compound should be higher than expected due to its hydrogen bonds, this compound also seem to have a hydrogen bonding structure similar to 5-Aminotetrazolium nitrate having every oxygen bonded, it have a hope of being not too sensitive.

[Edited on 10-4-2014 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 01:33

Yes triazanium nitrate and azide exist. this is an article that describe the synthesis of various triazane salts:

Beiträge zur Chemie des Hydrazins und seiner Derivate. XVIII. Darstellung und Eigenschaften von Salzen des Triazans

Unfortunately, it is mentioned in the abstract that the triazanium is unstable and salts of this conpound can only be isolated when mixed with BaSO4 which is already formed in the reaction.

Quoted from the abstract:

"...The reaction of N3H7SO4 with barium compounds BaX2 in aqueous solutions yields under precipitation of BaSO4 solutions which contain the corresponding salts of triazane N3H6X (X = NO3-, ClO4-, Cl−, CH3COO−, N3-, CN−, Br−, OH-). Due to the instability of the triazanium ion, the solid triazanium salts could only be isolated in mixture with the also formed BaSO4. The properties of these compounds are described."

Dany.

[Edited on 11-4-2014 by Dany]
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 03:55

Thanks dany,
Had a hard time understanding French. However the patent successfully isolated triazanium perchlorate without any other salts such as the barium compounds. Is it possible use the patent's method to make hydroxyhydrazine salts? [HO-NH2-NH2]+. HO-NH2 + CH3SO3NH2 > [HO-NH2-NH2]+ [CH3SO3]-. The paper you posted used chloramine with hydrazine. Cl-NH2 + NH2-NH2 > [NH2-NH2-NH2]+ [Cl]- Could this method be used on hydroxylamine?

Also. I didnt want to bring back up the hydrazine dinitramide post but you provided me a paper which says its sensitivity is too extreme for practical uses, however this article mentioned the SRI-international(the ones who said it is too sensitivity) provided them hydrazine dinitramide in crystallized form!
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1011362427996...
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 12:28

I didn't tell you that hydrazinium dinitramide is unstable...Yes the sensitivity of this compound is high but this has nothing to do with it's isolation. You can crystallize very metastable materials, however due to the high sensitivity, there are no practical applications for the compound. By practical applications we understand the entrance of hydrazinium dinitramide in real application (e.g., as an explosive in a PBX formulation or as an oxidizer in rocket propellant). Another extreme example is the salts of pentazolium ion (N5+). These high energy salts can be crystallized and analyzed as seen in many publication in the literature, however no practical application is found due to the extreme explosive nature and sensitivity of the N5+ derivatives.

Crystallizing and analyzing a new HEDM doesn't mean that the compound has a practical application...the road that a new HEDM must walk to reach practical application is long and tedious...

Dany.

Go To Top