Printable Version  
Author: Subject: chemistry related improving energy strain of the world
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 29-8-2011 at 12:44
chemistry related improving energy strain of the world

not the best title but
these are the things which would help improve the demand for energy and effecienty

ffc cambrige process for making cheap transition elements cheaply like titanium being used where aluminum is used

thorium fission

instead of more rare lithium ion batteries
sodium ion batteries itch would drop the price of batteries

iter fusion project

Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 29-8-2011 at 16:48

I don't think that lithium is an element so rare that that drives up the price too much. In addition, is there any sodium battery technology known?

Thorium fission is known to be a possible alternative for uranium fission, but still requires extensive engineerig to get the first Th based power plant working. The engineering costs have hitherto outweighed the reduction in cost from use of the cheaper and less rare thorium.

What would really help in my opinion is the development and implementation of fuel cells. There exist gas fuelled power plants, which would become top efficient when fuel cell technology would be used. The greatest technological challenge here lies in preventing intoxication of the fuel cells due to impurities in the fuel.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 04:32

Just how can a battery solve energy demands? It's a battery. A tank into which energy is stored, either by putting fresh, "energized" chemicals, or by driving electricity into chemicals.

But it's a tank. It does not produce anything. You have to invest more energy to produce those chemicals than you'll extract later.
I read what people say about energy demands and somehow I get this feeling that vast majority of population seems to think that energy grows on trees and is just picked and transfered through cables to the hole in the wall. When someone starts equalizing power plants with batteries, I simply know the discussion will fail.
The same goes for fuel cells. They are not primary energy sources.

Thorium fission is very nice, but will become interesting once the price of uranium jumps. For now, it's not interesting. It's more complicated and expensive. It requires uranium as well, because thorium itself is not fissionable.

ITER is still a disappointment. It's possible, but technologically very challenging. Promises and promises. We'll see.

blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 12:23

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  

ITER is still a disappointment. It's possible, but technologically very challenging. Promises and promises. We'll see.

Fusion research has been slow to deliver but not that slow. When I was a student there was talk of an ETA of about 2020.

A bit silly to condemn a facility (ITER) that hasn't been completed yet, yet appears more or less on target...

Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 14:10

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
The same goes for fuel cells. They are not primary energy sources.

No. Point is that being economic with the energy available in natural gas, stretches up the time the world's natural resources can be used.

Agreed, though, that in the long run we will probably only have the choice to use energy coming from the sun. In that respect, Tesla's observation that energy can be extracted from the ionosphere, (where it is replenished constantly by radiation directly from the sum), seems a thing worthwhile to investigate. As far as I know, so far permissions have never been granted to experiment with this. I.e. there's a virtually endless discussion about Tesla's method, but as good as no experimental data.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 30-8-2011 at 15:44

Oh god...

I guess there have been some changes on this site in the last few years...

Go To Top