Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nickel salts.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 28-7-2011 at 08:50
Nickel salts.

Hello everyone!

As many of you know, anodes that are not made of platinum degrade very rapidly when used in chlorate cells and other corrosive environments. You might have seen NurdRage's video on how to make MnO2 coated titanium electrodes. His procedure seems very effective and I plan to use the principle of baking water soluble salts onto the surface of a titanium electrode to form a layer of metal oxide.

However, I would like to go one step further and experiment with other transition metal oxides. In order to protect the activated surface of the titanium electrode, I still plan to use a cobalt oxide layer, but I would like to experiment with nickel, manganese, vanadium, tin, zinc and copper, and if possible, lead and antimony salts (basically the whole top row of the transition metals).

I've figured out which salts to use for V, Mn, Zn, Cu, Sb and Pb, but I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding nickel salts that satisfy the aforementioned criteria.

Nickel nitrate doesn’t decompose before vaporizing, nickel carbonate is not water soluble and nickel sulfate decomposes at too high a temperature.

Any ideas?

Also on a side note, if there is a method for electrolytically depositing these metal oxides, I’d be interested to know.
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-7-2011 at 10:22

Nickel formate might be a possibility. In oxygen (air?) it decomposes to NiO (and CO2) somewhere around 240C. However, the papers I turn up with a quick search (e.g. http://art-srh.kau.edu.sa/Files/320/Researches/52263_22570.p... ) seem to suggest that the resulting oxide is in fine crystals or a porous mass; so achieving a nice coating might be difficult.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 28-7-2011 at 12:18

Ok. Thanks for the info. Is there by any chance a method for electrodepositing nickel oxide onto an electrode surface? I'm not yet ready to abandon this idea because nickel oxide seems like one of the most promising oxide coatings after indium and tin oxides.

Go To Top