Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Subcritical Water Reactor (asking for experience)
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2024 at 18:06
Subcritical Water Reactor (asking for experience)

I am very interested recently in green chemistry, specifically replacing organic solvents with subcritical water for extraction and reactions.

I have read a multitude of papers that carry out reactions in sub critical water such as

"Dehydration of lactic acid to acrylic acid in high temperature water at high pressures"

Subcritical Water Extraction of Natural Products
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8271798/

I am not attached to any specific target molecule but more interested in building a setup where I can experiment and better understand the process of using sub critical water as a replacement for organic solvents.

An apparatus compatible with subcritical water extraction needs to be able to withstand

1) High temperatures. I would like to be able to reach 175-200C, but could settle for 150C .
2) High pressures. Goal of 150 Psi working pressure
3) Resistance to Hot water. Water at these temperatures can become significantly more corrosive.

I am reaching out to any forum members who have experience building an apparatus like this, or working with sub critical water.

I want to get an understanding of what building an apparatus would involve and how feasible a project like this is.

If this is successful I want to make it a priority to take suggestions from people on application of this apparatus, so feel free to leave ideas for future projects as well.

Go To Top