Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preperation of Iodine compounds from Tincture of Iodine
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-7-2010 at 21:52
Preperation of Iodine compounds from Tincture of Iodine

Hello.

I know it is possible to make Iodine from Tincture of Iodine.

But is it possible to make Sodium Iodide, Iodate, and Metaperiodate from tincture of iodine.

Thanks.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 31-7-2010 at 01:26

You can add first HCl and then H2O2 to the tincture until iodine appears (grey stuff). After that you need to filter it and you can wash it with something or purify with sublimation. Sodium iodide could be made from HI acid, that acid could be made from elemental iodine I think.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 31-7-2010 at 10:01

Free the I2 and add NaOH should yeild NaOI which on reduction with Carbon or heating should yeild NaI.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 31-7-2010 at 18:25

Or, alternatively, you could buy NaI for around 60-$100 a kg. I once got lucky and got a kg of KI for around $40.

This would be SO MUCH easier and less costly than freeing I2 from EtOH/KI solution and then reacting with NaOH and then reducing to yield NaI!! Jesus! If, however, this is for experimentation purposes, more power to you.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer

Go To Top