Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boron
JJ
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2003 at 18:27
Boron

I have been considering boron as a fuel,I have looked all over google but nothing worth reading!Has anybody had much experience with B?
guaguanco
Hazard to Others

Mood: heterocyclic

[*] posted on 18-12-2003 at 19:34

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
I have been considering boron as a fuel,I have looked all over google but nothing worth reading!Has anybody had much experience with B?

First you need to come up with a strongly exothermic reaction involving boron. Are you trying to emit large volumes of gases (explosives/rockets)? Boron isn't a great candidate for this.
JJ
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 18:48
B

Yes it's for rockets and or exp. of the SCIENTIFIC type.:D I was told that the Gov. did some work with it in the 50's and 60's with good results(as a turbo jet fuel).
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 19:02

I've made boron and done some pyro with it. It makes a nice green with just about any comp, and is in my opinion safer then aluminum in flash comps. Anyway, I believe that boron research was done with diborane and higher compounds and it was discontinued because the boric oxide produced during the reaction highly abrasive to the rocket cones.

One thing though, and I mentioned this in the tread on obtaining boron from borax, if you want to reduce a boron compound, magnesium metal is the way to go, aluminum results in high yields of aluminum boride which is almost impossible to separate from the boron thus formed.

POST NO. 100 !

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 29-7-2011 at 18:16

It's maybe a little late, but if you reacted magnesium boride with phosphoric acid, you would get borane gas, which is a hell of a rocket fuel.

Go To Top