Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hobnob. Introduction.
TheScreamingAbyss
Harmless

Mood: Dragonfly in the sun

[*] posted on 20-5-2024 at 19:23
Hobnob. Introduction.

Good afternoon!

My right name is Jack Wolfe, hailing from the resplendent banks of the River Mooloolah and, by commodious vicus, just south of a place named Cinnabar! I’m thrilled to join this delightful chemistry forum and can't wait to get to know all of you fine folks.

My friends often describe me as a hobbit. I’ve always cherished the simple joys of life, from tending my garden to concocting gastronomic delights. I’m fascinated by how things work, from the vibrant pigments that color our textiles to the surfactants that keep our clothes and dishes clean.

I have a particular love for phytochemistry and the fragrances that make our gardens smell so enchanting. The magical sparkle of elf-fountains, goblin-barkers, and thunder-claps has always captivated me. And who could forget the art of mycology, brewing, and fermentation, a skill every halfling appreciates?

I'm looking forward to learning from each of you and perhaps sharing a few wizard-inspired experiments along the way. Thank you for welcoming me into this vibrant community. Here’s to many insightful discussions and discoveries together!

In solidarity,
Jack Wolfe

Who sleeps in your skin?
Who thinks in your mind?
Who controls space & time?
Surely it's not I
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 20-5-2024 at 20:12

Hey, we are actually not too far away (relatively speaking). I am a couple of hours inland from Brisbane.
Welcome to the board. I am sure you will enjoy yourself here.

In terms of the chemistry you are into... is it more extractions or synthesis? Apart from a few ester synths, I don't think we have seen much deep discussion on plant fragrances recently.

J.
TheScreamingAbyss
Harmless

Mood: Dragonfly in the sun

[*] posted on 20-5-2024 at 20:35

Well, Hello!

It's mostly extractions at this stage. I have collected a bunch of literature about the synthesis of aromatics used in perfumery over the years and am slowly gathering what I need to put some of it into practise.

And, yes, you're quite right, there's not a lot of discussion about it anywhere to be honest. Scent is such a fleeting and temporal thing and seems to be dismissed as 'arty'. And for those that do, it's all very "secret formula" stuff reserved for French fragrance houses and such, which I think is a useless attitude and the antithesis of shared learning.

Who sleeps in your skin?
Who thinks in your mind?
Who controls space & time?
Surely it's not I

Go To Top