Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does the temperature drop when a molecule splits in half?
SplendidAcylation
Hazard to Others

Mood: No one I think is in my tree.

[*] posted on 18-5-2024 at 09:18
Does the temperature drop when a molecule splits in half?

Hi,

I have recently been trying to get a better understanding of thermodynamics and kinetics, as such, I have a long list of problems that remain unsolved (by me).

One particularly troublesome problem is the pursuit of an explanation of how entropy manifests itself on a molecular scale.

What happens when atoms/molecules/ions collide that allows the reaction to proceed further (or less far) than would be expected if we solely looked at the enthalpy changes?

Evidently, when entropy increases, the rate of the backwards reaction is slower than we would expect if we considered only the enthalpy changes, but why?

Although many sleepless nights considering these questions have yielded no useful results, many new questions have emerged, the most troubling of which is as follows:

When a particle splits into two (or more) pieces, does the temperature decrease (or increase in the case of the opposite process)?

Consider the following imaginary reaction, where I have used real molecules do make it a little easier to imagine (but the reaction is totally made up):

Br-Br + Cl-Cl <----> 2Br + 2Cl

Here we have started with two particles (molecules) and ended up with four particles (atoms/radicals).

In this imaginary reaction, the enthalpy change is zero, so no energy is released or absorbed:

Screenshot_2024-05-17_09-54-01.png - 6kB

Because the kinetic energy of the products will be the same as that of the reactants, and we have twice as many particles at the product side, this must mean the kinetic energy is spread out between the larger number of particles, and therefore the average kinetic energy of each particle is lower.
Since temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy, the temperature must decrease.

This seems highly odd to me, is it correct or have I made a mistake somewhere?

Furthermore, if this reaction is carried out at constant-temperature (with the alleged cooling effect nullified by returning the reaction mixture to room temperature), would the equilibrium constant be 1 for this reaction, since the activation energy for both forward and reverse reactions is the same?

I suspect the answer is "no" because the reaction is accompanied by an increase in entropy.
This brings me to the question that has been keeping me awake; How does this increase of entropy manifest itself?

On the product side, there are twice as many particles, so collisions would be twice as frequent, however only half of those collisions would be between reacting species, so the greater collision frequency would cancel out...

I of course understand the thermodynamic concept of entropy (about as well as any mere mortal who is hopeless in mathematics could) however I don't understand how it happens... Entropy doesn't just magically increase, there must be something about this reaction that makes the reverse reaction slower than expected, and I can't figure out what it is.

P.S. someone else has asked the same question regarding the temperature drop:
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/506252/do-partic...

Thanks in advance!
bnull
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy (again)

[*] posted on 19-5-2024 at 11:23

I want to recommend a book in place of trying to address the issue, so you can see by yourself "where the floorboard creaks". Thermodynamics was the most confusing subject I was subjected to during collegeNote.

"Chemical Thermodynamics", by Maxwell Len McGlashan (https://archive.org/details/chemicalthermody0000mcgl), seems decent enough.

Note: to make things worse, they used H. B. Callen's "Thermodynamics", which is not itself a paradigm of clarity. Old farts... Thermodynamics is a pain in the neck and other anatomical structures. No wonder the great minds behind statistical physics ended up self-deceasing themselves.

Quod scripsi, scripsi.

B. N. Ull

P.S.: Did you know that we have a Library?
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 19-5-2024 at 17:45

If you have Br2 --> 2 Br, the enthalpy change is NOT zero, as it requires energy to break that bond. So, yes, its temperature will decrease.

Picture a hot molecule of bromine. It's vibrating hard, with a lot of vibrational energy, with the two atoms coming in and out rapidly. At some point, the spring (bond) breaks and the two atoms float away from each other. Since the bond broke when the two atoms were at their maximum distance (and didn't have a lot of kinetic energy), they're now moving away from each other fairly slowly. So they have no vibrational energy any more, and no rotational energy (spinning a sphere isn't like spinning a molecule), and low translational (is that the right word?) energy, they are now at much lower total kinetic energy. They're cold.

[Edited on 20-5-2024 by DraconicAcid]

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Precipitates
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-5-2024 at 19:30

Quote:
Does the temperature drop when a molecule splits in half?

Yes, energy is required to break bonds. I'm currently "slowly" reading this book,
Nature Of The Chemical Bond, I think also suggested by bnull in another thread. Very interesting, thanks!

Even for very unstable molecules, e.g., nitrogen trichloride, a reasonable amount of energy still needs to be put in to break the bonds (N-Cl) (which comes from the environment e.g., uv light, heat). In this case it is the shear stability of the triple nitrogen bond, and thus energy released when this bond forms, which favours the reaction to proceed. Once a small amount of energy is put into the system, the energy released quickly decomposes the rest of the nitrogen trichloride, leading to the explosion observed.

2 Br --> Br2 is favoured at room temperature, but, at very high temperatures, the reverse reaction will be preferred. Somewhere in the middle (but at still a relatively high temperature) the equilibrium constant will be 1.

Energy is related to entropy, if a lot of energy has to be put in to break bonds, this will lower the entropy of the surrounding environment (temperature will decrease). When we produce Br2 at room temperature, the decrease in the number of particles is more than made up for by the energy released when the molecule forms, and thus increase in the entropy of the environment.

This is a good video on entropy, The Most Misunderstood Concept in Physics.

Go To Top