Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Diethylether (sulfuric acid saving method)
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-5-2024 at 12:12

Quote: Originally posted by Jenks  
Phosphoric acid seems to be the obvious alternative to prevent reduction of the acid from being a problem.

I already tried 75% phosphoric acid, but ethanol just boils unchanged from it.
Jenks
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-5-2024 at 18:51

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
Phosphoric acid seems to be the obvious alternative to prevent reduction of the acid from being a problem.

I'm surprised. This is useful to know. Maybe the dehydrating ability of sulfuric acid is driving the reaction. But Diachrynic wrote, "It can also be seen that the dilution of water is not limiting the reaction, as it distills off alongside the ether and alcohol in more or less a stable equilibrium, if it is allowed to do so." If the water is removed by distilling it as the azeotrope, the sulfuric acid is not needed for this. Maybe the ester intermediates are the key, and the mechanism is not as simple as protonation of ethanol.

[Edited on 20-5-2024 by Jenks]

[Edited on 20-5-2024 by Jenks]
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-5-2024 at 23:31

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  

I'm surprised. This is useful to know. Maybe the dehydrating ability of sulfuric acid is driving the reaction. But Diachrynic wrote, "It can also be seen that the dilution of water is not limiting the reaction, as it distills off alongside the ether and alcohol in more or less a stable equilibrium, if it is allowed to do so." If the water is removed by distilling it as the azeotrope, the sulfuric acid is not needed for this. Maybe the ester intermediates are the key, and the mechanism is not as simple as protonation of ethanol.

Yeah, there is obviously something specific about sulphuric acid.
I will try again in the following days and keep you posted.
bnull
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy (again)

[*] posted on 20-5-2024 at 05:04

If the water is removed by distilling it as the azeotrope, the sulfuric acid is not needed for this. Maybe the ester intermediates are the key, and the mechanism is not as simple as protonation of ethanol.

Protonation of ethanol is the crucial step (see, for example, https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Organic_Chemistry/Or...); otherwise there is no reaction. Sulfuric acid is needed because it is a strong acid and consequently a good proton donor, and is also non-volatile. Other common strong acids (HCl, HNO3) are volatile and boil off well before the reaction temperature. Phosphoric acid is fixed but weak.

There are no ester intermediates. If that were indeed the case, phosphoric acid would work. Even boric acid would do.

[Edited on 20-5-2024 by bnull]

Quod scripsi, scripsi.

B. N. Ull

P.S.: Did you know that we have a Library?
chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2024 at 09:19

Indeed. Compare the boiling point of 85% phosphoric and 85% sulphuric acid. They have the same molar mass - both are 50% by mole. The boiling point of 85% H3PO4 is quoted as 158 degrees - cannot quickly find a quote for 85% H2SO4 boiling point but from graphs looks around 215 degrees. Equimolar amount of sulphuric acid protonates water much more fully that phosphoric acid.
Strong monobasic acids like HClO4, CF3SO3H, ClSO3H and FSO3H are more volatile themselves because they have less bonds for hydrogen bond network. (And ClSO3H and FSO3H hydrolyze in water anyway). The one acid whose strength is close (slightly lower) and volatility similarly small is H2SeO4, and it is more oxidizing.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top