Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Liquid primaries
Yorty2040
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2024 at 15:18
Liquid primaries

The only liquid primary I'm aware of for sure is dimeric MEKP. Dugan mentioned a liquid version of NAP resulting from performing the synthesis in ethylene glycol as a solvent, but I haven't seen any images or tests, let alone data on it.

I'm curious if there are any others, especially ones that detonate unconfined. Perhaps ionic liquids with a chlorate or perchlorate counterion?

[Edited on 25-6-2024 by Yorty2040]
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-6-2024 at 16:59

The organic perchlorates are primaries, though extremely sensitive and unstable at STP. Longer chain and branched paraffins or olefins like isobutyl or allyl perchlorate may be liquid primaries that are more stable.

NG is also practically a primary, though cannot DDT from flame contact alone AFAIK. Sensitized NG (not a great idea to do) with N2O4, MeONO2, HClO4, etc might be able to DDT in direct flame contact.

Ionic liquids are usually far too bulky and insensitive, and even something like ClO4- or ClO3- wouldn’t likely be enough to sensitize them.

Part of the problem with liquid primaries, or the lack thereof, and liquid fuels in general as EMs, is the barrier to initiate phase change to a gas to promote combustion and the low densities they exhibit (which raises their heat capacity/insulating properties to heat). They really need a ‘shock’ to begin decomposition, or a solid or gas somewhere in their physical matrix to raise densities (of the liquid as a whole) and create “hot-zones” that can promote decomposition reactions to take place.

[Edited on 25-6-2024 by dettoo456]
Yorty2040
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2024 at 17:17

Oh right, I forgot about the perchlorate esters. I guess since they're almost impossible to use they slipped my mind.
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2024 at 23:43

As dettoo says, the lack of voids in a liquid energetic, makes ddt very inefficient. That means that it must be compensated with higher sensitivity to be used as a primary.
Of course, a liquid primary wouldn't be very practical IMO, and that may explain why very little research has been done on the topic.
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 27-6-2024 at 13:35

There are ways of introducing voids in liquids. But I agree, this sounds like a solution looking for a hand to blow off.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.

Go To Top