Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Barium Oxide from Barium Carbonate

JJay - 19-7-2018 at 00:21

Does anyone know how hard it is to prepare barium oxide from barium carbonate? Will heating barium carbonate over a propane flame in a crucible for a few minutes do the job, or are higher temperatures/extended heating required?

CobaltChloride - 19-7-2018 at 03:59

According to this it decomposes at 1450 °C which is about the maximum temperature a propane torch can achieve if you put something in the flame: http://chemister.ru/Database/properties-en.php?dbid=1&id... . I doubt it can heat something in a crucible that high
All barium salts decompose at very high temperatures to barium oxide with the exception of Ba(NO3)2 which decomposes at 592 degrees celsius. I think it would be much better to first react the barium carbonate with nitric acid and heat this mix until it stops releasing NO2.

[Edited on 19-7-2018 by CobaltChloride]

clearly_not_atara - 19-7-2018 at 07:13

It's very easy, you just dissolve in dilute acetic acid, then basify with NaOH...

JJay - 19-7-2018 at 08:55

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
It's very easy, you just dissolve in dilute acetic acid, then basify with NaOH...

I was considering using dilute HCl... but that is a really good idea.

CobaltChloride - 20-7-2018 at 02:18

Wouldn't that make Ba(OH)2? That isn't easy to decompose to BaO and H2O.

Fulmen - 20-7-2018 at 02:46

Correct. According to Wikipedia it can be dehydrated at 100°C in vacuum, at ordinary pressures you need 800°C.