Sciencemadness Discussion Board

synthesis of n-propyl-p-nitrophenylamine

benzbenz - 14-3-2007 at 09:18

I'm doing experiments on reaction between p-nitrochlorbenzene and amines. In the text of organic chemistry, this reaction is easy to carry. But i just get very few product. The condition is p-nitrochlorbenzene, propylamine, DMF, K2CO3, heating to 50, and magnetic stirring. TLC is very little spot. i do something wrong with this experiment? thks

[Edited on 15-3-2007 by benzbenz]

Nicodem - 14-3-2007 at 10:54

Try using 3 equivalents of propylamine instead of K2CO3 as acid scavenger, methanol or ethanol as solvent and run the reaction at 100-150°C (you have to use an autogenous pressure resistant vessel – don't know the correct name in English). I doubt that the reaction would proceed at a useful rate at 50°C, even with DMF as solvent. What are the conditions described in the literature anyway?

PS: The corect name is N-propyl-p-nitroaniline. "n" stands for normal, that is non-isomeric straight chain alkyl while you need to indicate you have an N-alkylated aniline.

benzbenz - 14-3-2007 at 18:09

oh, the condition includes 6kbar pressure.

Sauron - 14-3-2007 at 19:04

And the English term for autogenous pressure resistant vessel is "autoclave" for example, Parr, or Autoclave Engineering, etc.

benzbenz - 14-3-2007 at 22:37

i don't have any autoclave. I just have some flask. Isn't it carred out under atmosphere?