Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Sodium and CuSO4*5H2O Impact sensitive

Foeskes - 6-1-2018 at 01:44

i tried putting a small amount of sodium(around 1mm^3)on a 'anvil'(just a large sledge hammer), then pressing with another hammer to flat it out and I put some copper sulfate on the sodium with a plastic spoon. After hitting the mixture explodes(or defragate I'm not really sure) really loudly(my ears didn't ring but it was louder than a large balloon popping). This was kinda surprising. I got the idea after dropping sodium in a copper sulfate solution which seems to be more violent than dropping into distilled or tap water.
There are no residue left aside from excess copper sulfate.
I think what happens is that the sodium reacts with the water to form sodium hydroxide and hydrogen and reduces the copper sulfate to copper or copper sulfide.

Fantasma4500 - 9-1-2018 at 11:54

try dehydrating the copper sulfate first, its dehydrated once its grey, think its just an exotic flashpowder you produced
mean to say one guy on youtube who held a multi-kilogramme ampoule of cesium at one time tried potassium perchlorate with cesium metal, alkali metals reacts sorta like your regular pyrotechnic metals, just a lot more violent