Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Galinstan-activated aluminum, alternative to Al/Hg, $5 per 10g vial

Melgar - 5-11-2016 at 21:10

I don't really have the time or equipment to test this reagent on every possible reduction it might be able to do, so I figured I'd offer some for sale at a price that's low enough that pretty much anyone who wanted some could get some, and potentially do a few test reactions with it. I posted how to make the stuff in this thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=70110

So if you're not sure if this would work for your purposes, I can send you a vial, and if you want more, the constituent metals aren't difficult to source, and you can make more yourself. You can also recycle all the metals except the aluminum by carefully adding HCl until the aluminum sludge all dissolves. There should then be a drop of liquid metal left that's your galinstan, which dissolves in HCl, but only very slowly when it's dilute. You can then reuse this by mixing it with molten aluminum.

Alternately, I can sell various gallium/indium alloys I experimented with, all of which are liquid at room temperature and should work for this reaction better than pure gallium. However, I made the rookie mistake of writing their composition on them with a sharpie, which subsequently wore off, and now I don't remember which alloy was which. Still, they should only contain the metals gallium, indium, tin, bismuth, and antimony, none of which should affect the reduction conditions significantly aside from reaction speed, and all of which are non-toxic. I could sell these for $10 per 10g vial, or $15 per 20g vial. If anyone's interested, I could even stick them in the freezer, then measure their melting point, which should be an indication of their approximate reaction speed when alloyed with aluminum.

Shipping would be included, unless you want it priority, in which case you'd have to pay for that. I'd accept Paypal, or even Bitcoin for that matter. Cash in an envelope works too.