Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What is relative amount of HCN to produce KCN and NaCN?

versailles - 29-10-2006 at 22:19

Does anyone know the amount of HCN used to produce KCN and NaCN for the same amount and purity? or any relative percentage of HCN? I really need help.

Thank you..

evil_lurker - 29-10-2006 at 22:31

Its called a stoichemetric ratio.

It takes 1 mole of HCN added to 1 mole of NaOH or KOH to make 1 mole of Na/KCN.

UTFSE for anything else you need to know.

BTW, it appears your chemical knowledge is extremely limited since you came here for help of a very basic question. If your even thinking about making HCN, I would strongly suggest you forget all about HCN before you go off and kill yourself. Many of the boards older members with lots of experience handling dangerous chemicals are afraid to work with HCN, including myself. HCN boils at room temp and has a very high vapor pressure which means keeping it in your apparatus and out of your lungs is a pain. It only takes a few minutes at 300 ppm or 50mg then your dead.

[Edited on 30-10-2006 by evil_lurker]

not_important - 29-10-2006 at 22:33

Uh, huh? Or, alternatively, 2.57 tonnes.

If you're asking "what is the amount of HCN to use with X amount of alkali to make the alkali cyanide", then you are effectively dealing with a nutralization reaction. If y ou can't work that out on your own, you should not be dealing with cyanides (or at least no where near other people or bodies of water).

versailles - 29-10-2006 at 23:13

Thanks for your comments. Btw, I just need to know the amount of HCN by weight to produce those two for chemical marketing aspect.

evil_lurker - 29-10-2006 at 23:51

I was a noob once too and didn't know jack squat about chemistry.

So I'm OK with the occasional spoonfeeding plus I have a mole calculator on my desktop.

The reaction is HCN + KOH = KCN + H2O

The molecular weight of HCN is 27.025g therefore you would need 56.106 g of KOH to make one mole of KCN which weighs 65.116 g.

It takes 39.997g of NaOH to make one mole of NaCN which weighs 49.007g.

Basically for every mole of HCN your react with one mole caustic soda or potash you will create one mole of water which weighs 18.015g.

Thats as simple as it gets.

If you need more help with your calculations I am available as a paid consultant for $100 per hour.

versailles - 30-10-2006 at 00:14

Many thanks..that's more than enough!

Waffles - 30-10-2006 at 00:16

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker
I have a mole calculator on my desktop.

What percentage of people on this forum have that, ya think? 50%? 70%? So useful :), especially with integrated molecular weight calculator.