Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Any way to dissolve bits of carbon/activated charcoal?

alking - 18-5-2016 at 13:58

I've got a bunch of tiny grains of activated charcoal stuck in a fritted filter which severely hinders its use. Is there a good way to get this out? I've tried forcing high pressure water through it with only mild success. I'm thinking maybe run a bunch of sulphuric acid through and hope it pulls it out maybe? Is this viable or will it need a prolonged soak or something for that to be effective?

BromicAcid - 18-5-2016 at 14:07

Soak, check out Piranha Solution. Be careful to make sure it is throughly water rinsed beforehand, small amounts of easily oxidized organics could lead to issues.

aga - 18-5-2016 at 14:11

Heat. Lots and lots of it.

AJKOER - 18-5-2016 at 15:29

Some claim the merits of WD40 which will apparently dissolve carbon to the point where you can wipe it off but not quickly!

WGTR - 18-5-2016 at 16:06

An ultrasonic cleaner, maybe? Dimethylformamide can exfoliate graphite under ultrasonics. Activated carbon would probably disentegrate with similar treatment. I believe a 50-70% solution of ethanol in water will also work this way, but not near as well. The best solvent to use for ultrasonic exfoliation would be N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone.

I don't make any guarantees that the glass frit will survive the ultrasonic treatment, however.

[Edited on 5-19-2016 by WGTR]