Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Magnesium Source (easy)

Daffodile - 7-3-2016 at 13:29

Yeah I think I've made similar posts on Manganese, Nickel, Zinc and other metals, at least on some previous account, but they're interesting, and hard to find for some. I keep finding them in scrap, examples, and during projects for a metalworking course I'm in.

The source of Magnesium I found today is in old TV dinner tables, and old lightweight stands for appliances such as typewriters. These were around briefly before being replaced by Aluminum and lightweight alloys. They appear occasionally in scrap piles, thrift stores, or salvage yards.

These sources are a lot better to obtain than from pencil sharpeners, firestarters, etc, because half a kilo can be acquired from a thrift store for almost nothing. They can be identified by their black coating formed from contact with air, as well as their reaction of bubbling when placed in contact with a few drops of vinegar. It is important to identify them properly, because as I said before, Magnesium has become less common in products every year.

Finally, don't just walk around a thrift store and pour vinegar on everything shiny, because you'll probably get your ass kicked.

[Edited on 7-3-2016 by Daffodile]