Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Fridge/Freezer - Dehydrator all-in-one combo - possible?

RogueRose - 14-12-2015 at 10:41

I have the need for a convection dehydrator, maybe the size of a mini-bar fridge and I also need a minibar fridge. I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a combo unit using the heat from the fridge radiator as the heat source for the dehydrator.

I figure if I can use the parts from one of these fridges and build the housing for both units to fit the parts from the fridge.

As for the dehydrator, I'm wondering if there is a way to add some kind of desiccator into the build. IDK if this is possible electronically or if the best way would be to use something like Anhydrous Epsom Salts in a filter tube. The fan would blow air into the dehydrator and draw air into an air inlet which leads to the desiccator then the fan then over the heating element (may have to be a chamber the way fridge elements are designed).

I'm just not sure how much heat one of these fridges puts out. I guess I could always supplement it with something like a dilemma halogen light is needed.

As for the fridge/freezer I'm not sure there is much that needs to be altered other than the physical layout of some parts (extend some tubing and such).

I can't see why something like this wouldn't work but I have little experience with refrigeration and am unsure what the best desiccator would be (preferable a renewable material).

Does anyone see any major issues with what I have described or think of anything which would make the unit better?