Sciencemadness Discussion Board

About Glycerin/Glycerol powders

GabrielCoelho - 13-5-2015 at 10:30

Hi,

First post here. I'm a researcher for a company that is studying a product that includes glicerol, it would be completely impossible to use it in its regular liquid form, eve though it is very cheap here in Brazil with many biodiesel plants.

We currently use an imported raw material which is a premix including glycerol, it is a powder, it tastes just like glycerol dyluted in clay, which actually is the formula of such product. It is a very expensive raw material and all the clays are commonly found here at very cheap prices. I'm aiming to produce this premix myself instead of getting it from this company.

The diesel plants in my state produce only the regular liquid glycerol, but chinese sellers have it in a powdered form, such as this link:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-quality-glycerol-...

Is there any possibilities of obtaining a powder form of glycerin or is this just glycerol monostearate being announced as pure glycerol?

I'm also getting samples of some adsorbent clays to try to impregnate them with liquid glycerol and try to get to a stable powder at room conditions.

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!

PS: I'm a veterinarian, I research animal nutrition, but I'm trying to learn about production technology to help the factory.

vmelkon - 19-5-2015 at 09:53

There is no such thing as powdered form of glycerol.
That's just an alias for something else. Like you said, it seems to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol_monostearate

Quote:
I'm also getting samples of some adsorbent clays to try to impregnate them with liquid glycerol and try to get to a stable powder at room conditions.

That would be a heterogenous mixture of glycerol and your clay. What you want is that molecule called Glycerol monostearate.

Since it is an ester, I suppose it is produced the typical way.
Add a catalyst like H2SO4. Add a large amount of glycerol with respect to some stearic acid. The question is, how well does this acid dissolve in glycerol.