Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What do you think society should know about amateur science?

Metacelsus - 15-1-2015 at 13:06

I have the opportunity to give a speech to my school about amateur science, and I already have some ideas of what to say (dispelling common misconceptions, etc.), but I want to hear what the Sciencemadness community thinks on the matter.

What are the most important things for my audience (young, generally educated people) to know?

Amos - 15-1-2015 at 13:19

I'm not sure what age the students are, but regardless, it is never too early to start doing chemistry, or any other science, really. If you have your sight set on a future career, there's no reason you can't start doing it right away, if you're driven and creative enough. I've learned chemistry from YouTube videos created by twelve year-olds...

IrC - 15-1-2015 at 14:48

I think a valid point would be to consider the average classroom. Say 30 students, one teacher, and one hour for the class. Even if some school had 2 or 3 hours for a science class I think the point I will make is still valid. There is no way in the time allowed to handle the problems each one of the 30 may have in some or another area where they are having difficulty understanding. Not all are equally motivated, not all are equally gifted in specific areas of understanding. Yet all were placed in the class, some may be uninterested and even add to the difficulties others face by disrupting the focus of others. Some will get through it because they are stuck there while some may have a true drive to advance further.

However the teacher cannot devote all time to helping only those who really care. In reality most likely more time is devoted to helping those who are not truly interested so they can at least barely pass the class taking away from those who with a little more help could have advanced further, more rapidly. The only way the gifted ones can excel is to devote extra time in learning on their own time, which can be either aided or wasted depending upon the type of parents and home setting they may have. The most advanced people I have known all have one thing in common. They devoted much time in study, in experimenting, in building/creating on their own. For the majority of young people growing up, going to school, this extra time/work can only be found in their off time, at home. At home without the disruptive influences caused by the other students, by the small amount of time, by the low number of usually overworked teachers.

I believe if we looked at all those who made the greatest advances in the last 500 years we would find that without their work outside of school they may have never advanced the state of science as we know it today. Imagine the horror if for the next century we were still using 8 track tapes with matchbooks wedged in to keep them playing.

aga - 15-1-2015 at 15:23

Amateur scientists research things that would not be commercially viable for the Big chemical and drug companies.

If it were not for Amateurs, there simply could not be any Professionals, as the Amateurs discovered the stuff the Professionals make money at.

Radio telecomms for example. All Essential bits were discovered by amateurs.

Chemistry the same.

No enthusiastic amateurs = zero New Stuff, unless it has been calculated to make some $

... and the accountants see no Future, unless it is Certain - not Risk Takers - so the Next New Thing has a value of exactly 0 to them until it has already happened, which never does, as there's no investment in it.

Chicken and Egg puzzle.

Hawkguy - 15-1-2015 at 15:59

It would be great to start off by clarifying the whole basis of the amateur science you are involved in and how that is totally OK. This way they'll get more out of your presentation as long as they understand more about the hobby than Walter White this and that.

Zombie - 15-1-2015 at 16:23

Perhaps include some cool examples of how molecular changes create physical chances.

Like sugar to carbon or Zinc / HCL into Hydrogen gas, and then show uses for the products you just made from your "witchery".

I realize this is simple stuff so maybe ramp it up but the point is showing how chemistry effects everything. Explain that the gray matter inside the skull is one atom away from pond scum, then ask for a volunteer...

I'm 56, and have just now re'kindled my interest in WHY we are what we are, and how we can modify the very things that make us, us.

Most kids care less about polymer chains but everything they own is composed of them.
Many of them would light up if you told them their brain wave could dial their phone for them. Then throw in the word "RICH". Rich is the kid that makes the first brainwave phone call, and chemistry is the means to that end.

Just my thoughts... (gotta make a call):D

[Edited on 16-1-2015 by Zombie]

macckone - 15-1-2015 at 16:54

Probably the best thing to teach is that chemistry is more than explosives and drugs. Chemistry is used to make ferrites which are important in modern electronics.
Polymers which are part of practically everything.
And many other examples of chemistry in the everyday world that make life better.

Zombie - 15-1-2015 at 17:08

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
Probably the best thing to teach is that chemistry is more than explosives and drugs. Chemistry is used to make ferrites which are important in modern electronics.
Polymers which are part of practically everything.
And many other examples of chemistry in the everyday world that make life better.

Or just blow stuff up, and make a party of it...

It's funny you say this because most people I talk to about"chemistry" have exactly that reaction. They relate to drugs or explosives. LOL... all the while talking on their poly/ferrite phone. (made by Santa''s elves, and Unicorn pee)

Go figure.

[Edited on 16-1-2015 by Zombie]

Hawkguy - 15-1-2015 at 18:16

Maybe try to get rid of the notion that 'chemicals' are evil. I think chemists of any tier peeve with that whole thing chemiphobia thing..

cyanureeves - 15-1-2015 at 18:52

that all human beings have the right to knowledge even if self taught.there are master mechanics out there and shade tree mechanics also, some are trained and some are self taught.chemistry was regarded as witchcraft in some places and was even persecuted in it's infancy then as amateur chemistry is now.the new testament reads that early christians burned their witchcraft books when the power of healing by the laying of hands was prominent.these witch craft books were thought to be medical recipes since they were about restoring health but were no longer needed.there would be no chemistry if not for "amateur chemists" because there Were No other Kind of chemists.

WGTR - 15-1-2015 at 19:00

To clarify, are you giving a speech in front of your whole school, or doing a demonstration in front of a class? Is this for a grade, or is it some extra-curricular activity?

My general approach is to talk about topics that may interest the audience, first of all. I demoed the production of a circuit board to a class once. It took about an hour, and it was a hit. None of the kids had ever seen something like that before. Inevitably, one girl asked me, "What kind of acid does it take to dissolve a human body?" I turned the question around by answering, "Oh, I don't know. Why, is there something that you need to tell us?" I don't like dramatising the dangers of things, as I think it just feeds on the paranoia that people have.

My own preference is not to talk about issues with people who can't do anything about them. Complaints about laws and social perceptions about amateur chemistry may be best left for a letter to a House representative. When talking with a group, I like to keep it positive and interesting, and pretend the negative issues don't exist. I think that does more to change an audience's perception towards hobby chemistry than focusing on the negative. I wouldn't claim familiarity with "Walter". Personally, I wouldn't let the audience even go there.

cyanureeves - 15-1-2015 at 19:18

i take it you are going to show some kind of chemical reaction along with a reason why amateur chemistry is important.even school janitors practice chemistry everyday and just dont know it.

Amos - 15-1-2015 at 19:21

Oh, and while you're at it, mention that there are THOUSANDS of us.

Hawkguy - 15-1-2015 at 19:23

Thousands being that if they make walter white jokes, we will raze their houses to the ground. Is that what you meant?

Hawkguy - 15-1-2015 at 19:24

That was a joke by the way. But that's a pretty good idea, showing the widespread popularity and normality of such an interest.

violet sin - 15-1-2015 at 20:54

most people I encounter, seem to thing there is something wrong with a person that is into amateur chemistry. always think there is some hidden motive, some unstated goal ( bombs-drugs ). but I think it would be a good idea to say that there is nothing wrong with being an inquisitive person who wants to know what makes things tic.

I choose to spend a fair amount of time reading, and occasionally performing experiments. no real goal beyond knowledge. no business plans, no grudges to settle, no intent to get stoned. but from some peoples reactions, you might as well of thought I said " I'm into amateur cannibalism"...

point being you shouldn't be afraid of being a nerd from time to time, learning something with some free time. don't have to throw out all your vid games, but at least balance you experiences out a bit.

the point doesn't need be made in a neg light, as if we have all been persecuted for years. more along the lines of... some people like sports, some people like drinking beer, some people like to watch TV,.. I find it rewarding to chem it up :)

Zombie - 15-1-2015 at 21:15

I had to laugh... Thousands.

That does bring up another very good point.

Prepare some literature with links to forums / good chemistry books / perhaps some of the better YouTube science vids...

There might be a few people there that are intrigued but don't know where to start. I am one of them.

You can take a lot of the hit, and miss out of a fledglings life, and show the right road.

Nice thread!:)

Metacelsus - 16-1-2015 at 06:01

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
To clarify, are you giving a speech in front of your whole school, or doing a demonstration in front of a class?

This is a five-to-seven minute speech for my whole school. I'm not hoping to persuade my audience to become amateur scientists (although it certainly would be nice, I think it's too ambitious); my goal is to educate them about the topic and to encourage them to be tolerant. Hopefully, if they see someone testing a rocket motor, they won't call the police.

Loptr - 16-1-2015 at 07:25

To be completely honest guys, to put it in the words of the Joker from The Dark Knight, there is a plan. Any deviation from that plan, people tend to freak out.

The plan is that people should not be able to be easily (relative term) harmed, or be able to cause a ruckus. People in the past caused a ruckus! Oh, they did, and as a result we arrived at the industrial era while being carried on their backs. Now that we are here, and have gotten comfortable, ruckus is something only the outliers would intentionally want to cause, and that's socially not acceptable.

Anything, which is not deemed as necessary, which has the potential to fall outside of the criteria above, will not be tolerated by the majority.

The public simply cannot be exposed to the truth in it's raw form, because they will freak out. It needs to have a certain spin, one of which that does not immediately cause red flags to go off in their minds that have been conditioned to identify something of potential risk.

The fact of the matter is that science is filled with ruckus and lots of risk, so maybe it would be pertinent to show that we are responsible (or at least try to be), through the use of risk management techniques. Risk is inevitable, so what do we do? We identify the potential hazards and mishaps to the best of our ability, and account for it.

Maybe what people need to be told about amateur science is that there is a certain level of responsibility that comes along with it, and that is something we do take very seriously. This helps our actions seem to stay within their "plan" of everything being alright.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I hope this is general guidance on what sorts of things need to be expressed to the general public.

Zombie - 16-1-2015 at 08:13

You know what?

With 6 minutes... Make a hydrogen gas balloon out of a weather balloon, along with the statement, "We know where you live".

Blow the balloon, and drop a banner that simply sas, "SCIENCE".

No Really... Please don't.

I guess my point is 6 minutes is not enough time to make a dramatic verbal presentation.
I do think Props. (if allowed) could go a long way toward making a valid argument as to the real meaning of science. Like those "drone" helicopters. or an a/b nylon nylon formulation, or (you can tell what I like) a vat full of exploding soap bubbles.

How else can you explain that every single thing on this planet, hell... in this solar system is a direct result of chemical reactions. What makes it all so cool (for me) is you can figure out almost every reaction.

I don't know. Just trying to help in some small way.

Don't blow up your teacher. Please!:o

Metacelsus - 16-1-2015 at 15:38

My school will not allow me to do any demonstrations. All I can do is talk. 5-7 minutes are probably not enough, but that's what I have.

Hawkguy - 16-1-2015 at 16:02

Well thats life for you.

Magpie - 16-1-2015 at 16:17

Are you going to approach the subject of amateur science as "science that is done at home without supervision?" This can be very general and include such disciplines as astronomy, geology, entomology, etc. Now I don't think anybody is going to have any objections to pursuing those sciences at home. But what is going to happen when you mention home chemistry, physics, and biology? Are you going to say that these can (and are) done at home too? Would the instructor object to such an assertion?

cyanureeves - 16-1-2015 at 17:10

i guess you can talk about the good cheerful and positive side of chemistry so maybe they can one day change things for states down yonder.it's so freaking unfair.

halogen - 16-1-2015 at 19:02

Call em a bunch of ignorant fucks.

This being a school and you've got a bunch of children, such might not be appropriate language.

I would say, most of them are preoccupied with "Dancing for the Stars" and "Jeopardy" and "Hanna Montana" etc. Call that into question. What the heck is that? (That alone will enlighten one or two!) You're learning about technology by watching Optimus Prime? Nuh-uh. How to combat terrorism by watching Steven Segal load Crisco into a cocktail shaker & stick a fuse in it? How to float by watching Bugs Bunny? No. How to develop the optimal diet by watching Harry Potter, or "Ken and the Morning News Hour Kitchen, with Doc. of Nutrition Oprah'. Yikes.

Zombie - 17-1-2015 at 06:50

You forgot learning how to evade Zombies playing Resident Evil. I'd be F'd if they paid attention.:D

Sniffity - 18-1-2015 at 20:38

For me, it's kind of being able to experiment and increase my knowledge, without the formal constraints of a University lab.

Say, for instance, right now I'm crystalizing CuSO4, trying to improve the procedure in every single, small aspect. In a University Setting, I probably wouldn't be able to run 10+ crystallizations just for the sake of studying something in detail, specially not without a formal research project. This is perfectly reasonable: The University has to be careful where to spend its funds.

On a home lab I can easily do my own, personal research. I can run small experiments which woudln't really make it all the way to a research project. And hence I can greatly increase my knowledge and understanding of chemistry.

I'd also suggest mentioning how amateur science is SAFE when done right. I've never had a single accident in my Home Lab, because I always look out for safety. Try and dispell the "You're gonna wind up burning your house down" misconception.