Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Nice Reactions, Synthesis reactions, etc that are made easier by Nitric Acid?

bolbol - 4-1-2015 at 03:08

I have around two gallons of HNO3 and I don't really have a use for it anymore.
What cool stuff could be done with it?
Back then I was thinking of doing a rare earth metal nitrate collection but then again I don't have a vacuum to evaporate water from the solutions, couldn't boil them anyway due to decomposition.

So please, give me some nice ideas?

Chemosynthesis - 4-1-2015 at 04:17

How concentrated is it?

bolbol - 4-1-2015 at 05:12

70% but I opened the bottle a lot and it has fumed so it might have gotten lower

Chemosynthesis - 4-1-2015 at 05:17

Perfect for cleaning frits, many nitrations, etc. Probably not very sexy, but when you really want some clean fritted funnels over a weekend, I remember hating running out of nitric.

bolbol - 4-1-2015 at 06:09

Well I was looking for a bit more specific reactions :D

Amos - 4-1-2015 at 06:29

If you want lead compounds, nitric acid is your best friend. I just made some really pretty lead chromate and now I'm working on red lead oxide, both to be used as paint pigments.

bolbol - 4-1-2015 at 06:41

Does Nitric Acid mixed with hydrogen peroxide create any sort of specific solution?
Like sulfuric acid + H2O2 = piranha

Chemosynthesis - 4-1-2015 at 06:57

http://hydrogen-peroxide.us/chemical-catalyst-decomposition/...

I am not sure if the concentrations are lower, but sometimes a mix is used in various digestions.
http://www.berghof.com/fileadmin/Dateien-Einpflege/Seitenbau...

[Edited on 4-1-2015 by Chemosynthesis]

Bert - 4-1-2015 at 07:21

Quote: Originally posted by bolbol  
Well I was looking for a bit more specific reactions :D

Depending on how brave you're feeling... Start reading at around page 125!

cyanureeves - 4-1-2015 at 07:41

wow, two gallons? my nitric always costs me time and effort so i use it sparingly.i always made silver nitrate from sterling or scrap silver when i had enough nitric acid accumulated.if i have silver nitrate i then have silver chloride always handy and therefore a silver plating solution.i'd treat myself to gun cotton every now and then too.actually even gold stripping was put on hold until i had enough nitric for aqua regia. nitric was more expensive for me to make than the gold i was stripping and even though bleach and hydrochloric acid is cheaper,it doesnt beat a tad of nitric.if i had two gallons of nitric i might just hold the jug in my hands and caress it.

bolbol - 4-1-2015 at 08:07

Wait a minute... Does that mean adding H2O2 into reaction of making silver nitrate decrease Nitric acid loss by turning fumes back into nitric acid? Without reacting with silver nitrate of course..

And it cost me 100 bucks lol so far only did a bit of silver and a few days ago I dissolved some arsenic in it... Which I'm not sure what to do with.

cyanureeves - 4-1-2015 at 11:25

there was a video on youtube by metalicmario that i could not find any more.the video shows him dissolving copper in nitric acid and i believe he added hydrogen peroxide.the nitric dissolves the copper and one could barely see fumes being released and he states he did not know what was happening.

Bert - 4-1-2015 at 11:52

3NO2 + H2O ⇔ 2HNO3 + NO
2NO + HNO3 + H2O → 3HNO2
HNO2 + H2O2 → HNO3 + H2O