Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Overdriven Detonation

tangent - 30-3-2003 at 11:27

Samosa wrote...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atleast I know that if a hollow tube of H.E. is detonated, the air in the cavity is ionized(fill the tube with a lower vod H.E. than the first and you get overdriven detonation, that's interesting too)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit off topic... But why does that work? Is it because the detonation wave propogates more quickly in a vacuum? Or does the ionization somehow affect the second detonation?

--
so... anyone have a clue? inquiring minds want to know.

-t

DDTea - 1-4-2003 at 12:18

My reasoning that the resulting vacuum would be the case is because
it would be a natural assumption that matter (such as the expanding gases produced in an explosion) would travel at higher speeds in the absence of air resistance. After a high-speed detonation, there is a brief period where a vacuum is created from the point at which the detonation originated. If a second detonation were to occur quickly after this first one, the expanding gases from the second explosion could make use of the vacuum and propogate faster.

PHILOU Zrealone - 1-4-2003 at 17:22

Theorically yes two waves of same speed will gather because the first has more resistance to fight and thus the second one will be a little bit faster until they add!

On the detonation model, it is impossible because the solid explosive supports the detonation and detonation produces gases in the sense of its travel; nothing is left behind; so a second detonation wave just behind is impossible!

Normally detonation of HE is insensitive to the fact it happens in the vaccuum or not; VOD is stil the same (except for ANFO's where bubbles are needed for hot spots); also the vaccuum will fast be filled by genertated gases!

Also know this: In a detonation process, speed of reaction is faster than any matter speed; this explains why VOD is independant of vaccuum presence or not!
:cool::cool::cool:

Cappy - 3-4-2003 at 13:59

Are you saying the the velocity of detonation is overdriven, or the velocity of gasses is overdriven.

I can't see how a vacuum would assist the former, as sound propogates faster in denser media IIRC. This would leave me to believe that shockwaves would travel faster too.

[Edited on 4/3/2003 by Cappy]

PHILOU Zrealone - 7-4-2003 at 03:19

No overdriven gas and no overdriven detonation!

VOD is usually faster than any molecular moves; no mather the support of the detonation being solid, liquid or gaseous!
:(:(:(

Scientwisted - 4-1-2014 at 09:22

Would someone explain to me where the Idea of a vacuum came from?

I was under the impression that the tube that tangent is referring to is filled w/ HE and air, not a voided cavity. And if it is a vacuum what is ionizing?

Edit: Celebrating my first Post on sciencemadness.

[Edited on 4-1-2014 by Scientwisted]