Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Lead dichloride

j_sum1 - 2-12-2014 at 15:20

I have the opportunity to salvage some PbCl2 from a pile of chemicals that will be (professionally) disposed of in a week or so.
It is intriguing stuff -- just a jar of powder but so heavy in the hand.
But for the life of me I can't think of a practical application for the stuff. And I am not sure that I want to fill my lab with too many toxic things -- even if they are insoluble. In any case I already have some lead nitrate and I can make the chloride easily enough if I actually had a need.

Is there anything obvious that I am overlooking? Would a couple of kg be a sensible addition to the lab? Are there any interesting and/or useful things that might be done with it?

Bert - 2-12-2014 at 15:51

You can synthesize it from Lead nitrate and Sodium chloride as needed, true enough. However, that's more time spent on one more operation on the way to whatever you might want the litharge for- Plus the issue of purity of your home made reagent vs. the free (analytical grade? Technical grade??) reagent you have a chance to pick up for free now. If it's reagent or analytical grade, I would take it. But I'm a tired, lazy old man.

It is useful for making PbO, and is not terribly dangerous if handled properly or likely to degrade in storage. Grab it now, you will find other uses later ...

j_sum1 - 2-12-2014 at 16:50

Is there a simple route from PbCl2 to lead dioxide electrodes?

IrC - 2-12-2014 at 17:18

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
I'm a tired, lazy old man.

Bummer. I thought I was the only one.